17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 3:49 AM by oliverÑ

Text won't justify

dlw2x2

I am working on a book that was originally typed in Word. I imported the text into InDesign to have better control, hahaha.. I need the paragraphs to justify and the won't. There are tabs on the paragraphs. Does that make a difference?

• 1. Re: Text won't justify
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yes

• 2. Re: Text won't justify
            dlw2x2 Level 1

Ok. Is there a way to fix it?

• 3. Re: Text won't justify
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you show us some sample text with the non-printing characters showing?

• 4. Re: Text won't justify
                dlw2x2 Level 1

screenshot.pngIs this what you are talking about?

• 5. Re: Text won't justify
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you are calling a paragraph in your document is really a stack of one-line individual paragraphs. Since each line is the last line of a paragraph, it doesn't do as you expect.

All those returns and tab-tabs are exactly the wrong way to go about achieving this formatting.

What you need is to lose all the extra returns and tabs, and use the paragraph indent settings to get your desired result.

All the text below is set to justify. The first paragraph is set up like yours, the rest use the settings shown.

Screenshot 2016-03-01 14.30.27.png

• 6. Re: Text won't justify
                    dlw2x2 Level 1

Alrighty. Thank you. That does make sense. I will give it a go. Thank you y'all for your help. And quickly too. Much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Text won't justify

You're welcome. Come back if you have other questions about how to get this set up.

As a side note, every place that you have used double returns to add space between paragraphs, delete one of the returns, and use the space-after (or space-before) paragraph attribute to adjust that space.

Set all this up for one paragraph of each paragraph setup that you need, and then save each as a paragraph style. This will save you a ton of time if you want to make tweaks to the formatting later.

• 8. Re: Text won't justify
                        dlw2x2 Level 1

Ok, I guess I don't get it after all.

• 9. Re: Text won't justify

Can you put up a screenshot of your attempt, with hidden characters like before, and with the tab and paragraph pallets showing?

• 10. Re: Text won't justify
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, I guess I don't get it after all.

In your example there is a paragraph return after each line so there are no full paragraphs to justify. So in A2 of your screen shot you have 3 one line paragraphs instead of a single paragraph with 3 lines that could be set to justify. You don't want to use tabs and returns to create paragraph indents and space before or after —that can be done from the Paragraph panel settings' Left Indent, First Line Indent, Space Before, or Space After fields

• 11. Re: Text won't justify
                              dlw2x2 Level 1

screenshot2.png

• 12. Re: Text won't justify
                                dlw2x2 Level 1

Sorry, I have never used styles before. I am trying to learn on the fly. This was typed by someone else in Word. Imported into InDesign by yet someone else, then given to me for changes and what not. Now they want the justified text. And of course, they are in a hurry.

• 13. Re: Text won't justify
                                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You did the same error as before.

1. A paragraph musst not have any return to change the line. Write the text, no returns are allowed in any case, only between paragraphs are return allowed.
                                  2. For the left alignment you have to set a high value in the field left indent
                                  3. For the first line in each paragraph you have the set a negative first line indent.
                                  4. It is never allowed to use multiple returns to force space between paragraphs. Use space before and after
                                  5. Use paragraph styles

The same rules would also apply in MS Word. You should correct your working style in Word too.

• 14. Re: Text won't justify

All of the extra returns and tabs need to be deleted. Then use settings similar to the ones is my post above to create the indents.

You will need (for the paragraphs shown on this page), three styles. One for the top intro line, one for the main headings (A.  Admissions), and one for the numbers paragraph.

Screenshot 2016-03-01 16.52.04.png

• 15. Re: Text won't justify

Here is another screenshot of the paragraph above, viewed on the layout and in the story editor.

Notice that there is only one return character per paragraph, and it is at the end. All the indents are accomplished through the paragraph panel.

Screenshot 2016-03-01 17.01.32.png

The return at the end of each line is an obsolete habit left over from the days of typewriters, and it causes nothing but trouble in computer typesetting.

• 16. Re: Text won't justify
                                        dlw2x2 Level 1

Thank you for all the help. I will give it another go. I appreciate it, truly. Thank you

• 17. Re: Text won't justify
                                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might also look at the paragraph's Bullets and Numbering feature where the numbering is automated. In this example all I have is a return after each paragraph—no tabs at all, and I'm not typing the number.

So the 3rd level is set to regular numbers with a .75" Left indent and a -.15" first line indent:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.07.33 PM.png

And the second level is a capital letter format with a .5" Left indent. And the first level is a capital roman numeral:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.07.53 PM.png

• 18. Re: Text won't justify
                                            oliverÑ Level 1

I advice you a trick.

Ctrol+f (find & preplace) an place to look for "return" and in the second line "space" so you just have to add the return instead of delete all of them