15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 5:06 PM by RoninEdits

Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Hey everybody!

I've just bought an ASUS ROG G752VT-GC046D (German website link), that has a 1TB 7200 rpm HDD. The computer has two empty M.2 2280 slots for NVMe SSD disks. I am wondering what is the best disk configuration while keeping my costs low? I do 1080p video editing in Premiere Pro (30 fps and 60 fps) and do some work in After effects. I hope 4K video editing will be possible on this machine. Although 4K is not a must, I want to keep it in mind when choosing disks.

Specs:

i7-6700HQ

GTX 970M 3GB GDDR

16 GB DDR4 (2 out of 4 slots)

17,3" FHD LED screen

Maniboard: Intel CM236 (Skylake PCH-H) (im not 100% sure, I found this on a different website for G752VT)

3 x USB 3

1 x USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt

1000GB 7200 rpm HDD

2 empty M.2 slots for NVMe SSD disks

The disks can not be configured into RAID

I have a 250 GB SSD 850 EVO in my old computer I can use (currently I only use this disk to edit).Read and write speeds od 540MB/s and 520 MB/s, respectively

Configuration 1

1. Disk: OS, Programs, Pagefile - 128GB SSD PM951 NVMe M.2 2280 = 65€

2. Disk: Media, Projects - 1TB 7200 rpm HDD 2,5"

3. Disk: Preview, Media Cache, Exports: 256 GB SSD PM951 NVMe M.2 2280= 145€

250GB 850 EVO SSD 2,5" laying around or sold

Investment = 210€

Configuration 2

1. Disk: OS, Programs, Pagefile - 128GB SSD PM951 NVMe M.2 2280= 65€

2. Disk: Media, Projects - 250GB EVO 850 SSD 2,5" (slower than PM951) SATA connectors

3. Disk: Preview, Media Cache, Exports: 256 GB SSD PM951 NVMe M.2 2280 = 145€

4. Disk: Backups & old projects - 1TB 7200 rpm HDD 2,5"

Investment = 210€

I read the Tweakers Page on hard drive configuration, but I dont know how to apply the knowledge practically while keeping in mind that I am in not a super pro user with a huge budget but rather someone who wants to improve but has a limited budget.

What are your thoughts on my Configurations, do you recommend any improvements? Is the Configuration 2 the best bang for the buck (or euro)?

Looking forward to your replies,

Best,

Gorazd

• 1. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
          JFPhoton Level 3

After reviewing the link you provided, I can say that you may have misinterpreted the capability of your exact model. I could be wrong, though. If you had not yet purchased the machine , I would have advised you to select at least 32 GB of system memory and a different version NVidia GPU that has at least 4GB of DDR5 video memory.....the minimum suggested for 4K work. In addition, putting the OS and programs on a PCI SSD would be a waste.....especially for video editing. If your m.2 slots really do access the PCI Generation 3  lanes at 4x speed, you would want to install a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro and use that for ALL files not on the boot drive for fastest and best editing performance. A standard Samsung 850 Pro SATA III would be the best choice for your boot drive which would contain ONLY your OS, programs, and Windows page file. However, testing by Bill Gehrke here on this forum shows that you CAN place "media cache " and "cache" files on the boot SSD without any performance penalty. This also makes it very easy to just delete those files when a project is complete. Placing all media, project files, previews, and exports on the PCI SSD will give the best performance. However, the limited capacity of 512GB can cause a problem.  This is EASILY solved by using OTHER high speed SSD drives to "backup" and "archive" completed projects and media, etc. These can include external drives, like the new Samsung T3 SSD which gets over 400MB persecond over USB 3 with a capacity of 2 TB,or, the older T1 which has the same speed and is up to 1 TB capacity.

If internal 2.5" inch slots are available, you can add a backup drive there,or, even in the other m.2 slot.....depending on what you have.

Bill and I both have the Asus ROG G750JW gaming laptop and use PPro successfully on them. We both upgraded the original RAM from 8GB to 24 AND installed two separate SATA III SSDs to improve performance. Cloning the image of the original lousy HDD onto a fast, new SSD was a key to vastly improving performance...both of us eliminated using that slow, mechanical spinning hard drive which is a major DRAG on performance.

Even though you "only" have 3 GB of video memory ,it should perform well with the 4K, as our machines only have 2GB and can work with it somewhat....4GB of video memory is definitely better for 4K, though. Try to increase your laptop's  system memory yourself, if the slots are available. At least 32GB is recommended, especially for After Effects.

If it turns out that the m.2 slots on your specific machine are only SATA III and NOT PCI Generation 3, you would want to make a RAID 0 out of 2 SATA III Samsung SSDs for all your files EXCEPT what goes on the boot drive. The newest version of Windows 10 may already have the " Rapid Storage Technology" drivers for this purpose.

"Auf weder sehen " for now !!

• 2. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
            gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Thank you for such a detailed answer, I had to re-read it 7 times to understand it

-Regarding graphics card, I will contact the seller in the morning and ask if it's still possible to change the order to the 6GB GDDR5 version of 970M.

-If I understand correctly, OS and Programs (maybe even media cache and cache files) can be put on 128GB Samsung 850 m.2 series, and everything else concerning editing can go on a faster SSD like 950 PRO series with 512 GB (I might need to choose 256GB because of the price) with performance being good? Currently I am using a 250 GB 850 SSD and I never had problems with storage with current projects, maybe because so far im editing mostly 1080p and not 4K

-I googled my laptop's specs (or a similar this type, so ROG G752VT) and there seem to be the PCIe slots, Link1 Link2 Hopefully my machine has the same but if not I will try to make the best of it using SATA III SSD's

-I ordered the laptop with two empty and easily accessible RAM slots so I can upgrade it myself

-By cloning your HDD on you new SSD do you mean simply copying all the data and using the new SSD?

Best

• 3. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To both of you:

I just went to Xotic PC (they are a USA customizer of laptops like yours) and "customized my dream machine of early 2016 (within $$ reasonable)"  The base model is a G752VT-DH2.  the numbers after the dash are specific configurations of a "standard" US model.  Here is what I found:I could do with this customizer on the storage system:

1. M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Drive Slot 1    256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2150MB/s - Write 1260MB/s 100K IOPS)     Os/Applications/Media Cache/Media Cache Database
              2. M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Drive Slot 2    512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Read 2500MB/s - Write 1500MB/s 110K IOPS)     All other Adobe project files and Media
              3. 2.5" Bay 1 Remove Hard Drive (for future expansion)
              4. I know I have said not to waste a 950 Pro on the OS/Applications drive but with a clear no penalty, two M.2 full up slots and very low dollar cost difference over a 850 Pro, why not?

Since I am editing some 4K video with our current laptops a new G752VT outfitted laptop might mean I would not have any need for a workstation

• 4. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you already have the evo 250gb, and want to use it in the laptop

drive 1 - 250gb samsung 850 evo = os/pagefile/apps/db cache

drive 2 - 512gb samsung 950 pro = project/media/previews

drive 3 - 1tb 7200rpm hdd = usb external enclosure for backups

so you only have to buy one drive, the samsung 950 pro and a usb 3 external enclosure for the 1tb hdd.

if you want to keep the 1tb drive internal, then i believe you will have to go with two m.2 drives. a 128gb pm951 or slightly better sm951 for os/apps can work.

skylake was pretty much a flop for performance boost over last gen cpu's. so new skylake laptops are only good for features like thunderbolt, which is good for expansion or upgrades, including egpu.

• 5. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

If there were a chance that the GPU was an upgradeable option it was not available on the customized Xotic G752VT.  So Unless they offer you another basic model I would guess you have to live with 3GB.

When you bought your EVO SSD did you get a cd disc with it (I do not have any EVO's) but with each 840 Pro and 850 Pro they provided the cloning software, it is not just a matter of copying.  I think you can also download it from Samsung.

• 6. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                    gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Thanks again guys! I think I have a plan of attack now. I called the seller to ask if they have the 970m 6GB version but they only had 980M 4GB which was way over my budget. I guess 970M 3GB is where I'm at.

1st stage of plan:

- Use my old EVO 850 250GB 2,5" for os/pagefile/apps/db cache

- Buy a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD for project/media/previews (310€)

- Use 1TB HDD externally

2nd stage (when I have more money):

- Buy 2x8GB or 2x16GB of RAM

- Buy a 256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD to use instead of EVO 2,5" and clone all the files onto it (from EVO 2,5")

- Put the 1TB HDD back inside for backups

I will keep you posted on how my editing computer works if you guys are interested

• 7. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

Sounds like a great start.  One thing I am completely sold on it to get one of the Samsung T1 or T3 USB3 flash drives and I have all my Project files etc. on it and it works perfectly and if you have a workstation it provides perfect transportability between laptop and workstation.

• 8. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                        gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Awesome, I think that sounds like the 3rd stage of my plan

• 9. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

once you get a m.2 for the os/apps drive, stage 2, then you can use the left over external usb enclosure for the 250gb evo ssd. its the same as the samsung T1 or T3, unless you need more capacity. you may want to pick a 2.5" usb enclosure that supports uasp.

• 10. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                            gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Another Idea to save some €€€, I like

• 11. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                              gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Hey, an update!

I am using my ROG G752VT for a while now and I'm very satisfied. I Upgraded RAM to 32 GB and so far it's enough for my limited After Effects work, although I might later add another 16GB. I bought Samsung 950 pro M.2 512GB as well and I am loving it. Now I am thinking of getting another Samsung 950 pro for my other M.2 slot but I am not sure if I should go for 256GB or invest in a bigger and faster 512GB version.

The reason I am thinking of 512GB version is if a project size is too big for my first 512GB SSD and I need more space I might be able to use the second 512GB disk. The catch is, I want to have Windows 10 and programs on the second M.2 512GB and I am not sure how would would effect my work in Premiere and the speed of it.

Has anyone of you guys tried this SSD combination and can anyone recommend it or something else?

PS: I have a third disk slot, it's a 2,5`` which I want to use for a regular 1TB SSD (that I plan to buy later) for dropbox use and to store the files I am not currently working on in my fast 950 pro SSD.

• 12. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

Take a look at a new contender for that empty M.2 slot!  It is a neat 1 TB new entry that runs the same speed as the Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB.  It is the OCZ (really Toshiba) RD400.

OCZ RD400 1TB CDM

OCZ RD400 1TB

• 13. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

upgrading your os/apps drive from the 850 sata ssd to a 950 m.2 ssd wont make much difference for performance. so adding another m.2 would be mostly for your space concerns. therefore it would make sense to stick with the 512gb or larger sizes.

there will be more 1tb m.2 options soon, including samsungs 1tb 950 pro. the reason most here recommend samsung is reliability and speed. ocz was a very troubled company with very high failure rates in their various products. even though toshiba has purchased them, i would avoid ocz products like the plague for several years until we know what toshiba has done with ocz.

• 14. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop
                                    gorazdr27768010 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback!

I am kind of on a budged and the Samsung 950 pro 512GB (It costs 315€) would be the max investment I can make right now.

I am curious if any of you have experienced any problems or slow-downs when having editing media on the drive with Windows and programs? I want to put the original video files and this drive when my primary editing Samsung 950 512GB gets full. Does this not effect editing and speed of Premiere Pro enough to care about?

Best

• 15. Re: Best Disk Configuration For My Lovely New Asus ROG Laptop

most here keep the os/apps separate from media, so they probably won't have any experiences of that to share. performance will mostly depend on your media and timeline. the samsung 950 is about 3-4 times faster than a sata ssd, so in theory you should be able to run everything on one samsung 950 pro and have enough speed. if you are using very large bitrate files like raw files, and windows decided to run some background tasks while you were editing, it might cause some momentary performance drops. there are various guides on the web to disable windows services and scheduled tasks to get windows usage lower.

if you do not need the extra space right now, you may try waiting as ssd prices should continue to drop.