6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 1:01 AM by try67

PDF Save As

kodiem13114922

Hello every one,

I seem to be in a pickle in regards to saving a PDF as an image. Currently in my PDF document I have six text boxes that are toggled visible by checkbooks. When I go to print the form Acrobat sees which fields are hidden and will only print visible fields. However when I save the PDF as a image it includes every field in the form. Is there a way via JavaScript to stop this from happening?

• 1. Re: PDF Save As
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

So the hidden fields are visible when you export the file to JPG? That's strange, and interesting...

One workaround I can think of is to manually reset the values of these fields before exporting, and then setting them back again to their original values afterwards. It's a bit of a hack, but it should work, even under the circumstances you described.

• 2. Re: PDF Save As

I was curious so I tried it myself, using both the built-in Save As Image command and a script, and in both cases the hidden fields were not visible in the output image file, as I had expected.

So the question is first of all, are you sure these fields are hidden? Also, what version of Acrobat are you using (it could be a bug in that specific version)? And what exact code are you using?

• 3. Re: PDF Save As
              kodiem13114922 Level 1

thanks for the reply. I looked again and that is most likely my issue. I was hiding it using the properties dialog of the field. But now that i looked again at my properties i had actually marked the property of the field as "Visible but doesn't print". I need it to be visible so the users can click the check box they may type in but then the user needs to save the file as an image to be uploaded to a server. Is this possible?

• 4. Re: PDF Save As

You can use a script to change the fields' visibility before exporting the file as an image.

• 5. Re: PDF Save As
                  kodiem13114922 Level 1

OK here is another question for you in regards to the same matter. The intent of this form was to allow a basic user to turn around a save it as a jpeg so it could be loaded up into an inventory system. However i forgot that adobe reader was very limited in anything other then reading a PDF that i forgot it doesn't save in anything other then PDF. Is there a workaround you know of to get around this?

• 6. Re: PDF Save As

What kind of "workaround"? If you need this functionality then your users need to have Acrobat.