5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 10:47 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Rigging Question

RockyDavies Level 1

Hello!  First off, the program is awesome and I can see tons of potential here!  I've just started playing with it and watching the videos.  I apologize if this is covered everywhere and I'm just not there yet, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do layers of items that are not in the default templates.  For example, here is my character that I made and am trying to setup for Ch.

DAW-preview.jpg

I pasted the eyes and head back into the appropriate template layers.  I added the origin point for the neck and so far, so good.  The pupils move around with the head, according to the origin pivot point and they don't warp or anything.  -A quick question here - how do I set how far the pupils can move within this placement?  Can I restrain how far they shift in character as I move my eyes on camera?  Like a tolerance control or parameter of movement?  Maybe that is linked to the eyeball size?  I left those out.

Okay, back to main question.  So head and eyes move based on origin and don't warp as they move.

daw-rest-warp.jpg

Now, I wanted to add some head group layers above the eyes and face backing.  I want to add the lines over the eyes, the faceplate, the glass dome, etc.  I create layers and dropped them in, like so:

daw-warp-layers.jpg

I assumed that since they are in the head group they would move linked to the other items, however, they shift and warp strangely, like so:

daw-warp.jpg

The lines stay with the faceplate, which is good, but the lines and faceplate rotate independent of the eyes and face back and then start to warp from the origin point and super stretch if I, the puppeteer, get closer or further from the camera.  How do I get them to all move together and not warp?  Also, I noticed that some layer effects from photoshop don't import, like having a layer set as "Overlay" transparency.  Is that possible to set in Ch or not yet?  I'd like the lines to be set to overlay the eyes.  I also need the glass dome to be transparent.

Sorry for dropping a ton here!  If there is a tutorial or something that already explains this, I'd be happy to follow the link!  Awesome program again, I can't wait to figure it out better!

• 2. Re: Rigging Question
          teamicm Level 1

Can I restrain how far they shift in character as I move my eyes on camera?  Like a tolerance control or parameter of movement?  Maybe that is linked to the eyeball size?

This is controlled by the Eye Gaze Strength % in the Face behavior section of the Properties panel.

• 3. Re: Rigging Question
            KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adjusting the eye gaze strength doesn't do this for you?

teamicm wrote:

Can I restrain how far they shift in character as I move my eyes on camera?  Like a tolerance control or parameter of movement?  Maybe that is linked to the eyeball size?

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Rigging Question
              RockyDavies Level 1

Thanks! Eye gaze strength works for that issue.  I'm just trying to get familiar with everything.

• 5. Re: Rigging Question
                CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

> How do I get them to all move together and not warp?

To get a bunch of things to move together, place them in the same group in PS. Make sure the group is set to Warp Independently (i.e. "+" in front of the group name in PS, or check the Warp Independently option in Ch when that group is selected), and make sure the things inside the group aren't being moved in different directions (or moved at all). For example if Right Eyebrow and Left Eyebrow were in that group, they would warp things in the group as you move your eyebrows around. If only a single thing is being moved around (like a Head handle, say), then the group should move as one. But you can also have groups inside your group, and have them set to Warp Independently to have them parented to the group but not warp it. This is a common way of having the eyebrows -- they move with the head, but also independently floating on top of it. Each group set to Warp Independently can also specify which handle in its parent it should Attach To (popup under Warp Independently).

> Also, I noticed that some layer effects from photoshop don't import, like having a layer set as "Overlay" transparency.  Is that possible to set in Ch or not yet?

Ch doesn't yet support all the PS layer options. Hearing from you which are most important will help us prioritize.