5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 9:28 PM by danielb27371135

Master Page Guide Lines

danielb27371135

Hi, I'm having an issue with guide lines. I create single page horizontal guides on my master page, but when it is applied it applies itself to the entire spread in my document.

My master pages are spreads also, but each guide line is applied by individual page.

How can I stop this from happening?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Master Page Guide Lines
          Migintosh Level 4

When you drag your guides from the ruler, they will appear on the page if you drag them to the page, like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 9.40.14 PM.png

…and on both pages of the spread if you drag them to the pasteboard, like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 9.40.22 PM.png

Does that help, or had you already been doing that?

• 2. Re: Master Page Guide Lines
            danielb27371135 Level 1

Yes that's correct, I've been pulling the guides onto each individual page within the master.

However when the 'right' master page is applied, it also applies itself to the left page also.

The image i've attached below highlights that my guides are applied to the Master page individually. Not a spread. I need this to work because each spread could have a different grid layout.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 2.50.24 pm.png

• 3. Re: Master Page Guide Lines
              Migintosh Level 4

I can't really tell, but may I assume that those are your document pages? Can you post a screen shot of the master pages also, so that I can see what you want it to look like? Also, have you created any guides directly on the document pages?

Here's what my test document looks like. This is my A-Master pages:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 10.02.35 PM.png

I have a high guide on the left, and a lower guide on the right. If I start with an 8-page document with None applied as my master, like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 10.04.33 PM.png

…and apply my A-Master (with guides) to pages 2 and 5, I only get the guides on 2 and 5, like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 10.04.48 PM.png

• 4. Re: Master Page Guide Lines
                danielb27371135 Level 1

That was my master page. My document pages are blank.

In regards to your example, my problem is that it runs across the entire spread.

• 5. Re: Master Page Guide Lines
                  danielb27371135 Level 1

So I had a friend look into it, and turns out you have to turn 'Smart Dimensions' OFF. Preferences > Guides & Pasteboard

That has solved the problem of guide lines going over spreads.

Thanks for your help Migintosh