4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2009 3:49 AM by arizonagroovejet

Linux installing applications requires root password.

arizonagroovejet Level 1
      Can anyone explain to me why it is that on Linux, Air requires a root password to install an application even if the installation directory is specified as somewhere within my own home directory?

That it asks for a root password under such circumstances seems very wrong. The application files are being written to my home directory, I don't need to be root to write there and I do not want files being created in my home directory with root as the owner, as Air does when it installs an application.
      Asking for the root password also means that users who have a Linux machine that is administered for them by someone else and do not have root are unable to install Air applications themselves even if the administrator has installed Air on their machine.
        • 1. Linux installing applications requires root password.
          silverknightutah Level 1
          Not to hijack the original poster's thread or anything, but I would just like to add that I have the exact same issue as the original poster (arizonagroovejet) and also the exact same concerns and question regarding this issue.

As I understand it, it's really not good practice in a secure multi-user operating system (such as Linux) to be requiring admin privileges to be writing to a folder which the user account already has write access to anyhow. It would make more sense that if one is trying to install an AIR application to a folder which the user already has write access to, that the AIR installer not require root privileges at all and instead would just go ahead and install the application using that user's privileges and file ownership. This would certainly be the more secure means and is as far as I know the reason for having user accounts in the first place. (So as to partition userland files away from the operating system files and from elevated privileges which could be misused to do rather severe damage to a system.)

Considering that AIR apps are basically web apps, it really gives me the willies to have to type a root password to install them. Just doesn't strike me as the safest nor most convenient way to handle things in this instance. Is this a bug, or is it the intended operation of AIR? And if it IS intentional, are there plans to change this behavior for the better?
          • 2. Re: Linux installing applications requires root password.
            Ashutosh Sharma Adobe Employee
            AIR applications are similar to regular native applications - they install as native rpm/deb packages. This requires access to the rpm/deb system database (e.g. rpm database lock). And this is required even if the installation folder is chosen to be one that is owned by the current non-root user. In addition, with root privileges, it's also possible to install applications to a location that is accessible to other users on the system.

However, do note that when they are launched, AIR applications run with the privileges of the user launching the application and not root. The primary executables of AIR applications (under the bin/ folder in the installation path) do not have the setuid bit set. You should not be worried about AIR applications running with root privileges, based on the fact that their installation required superuser access - the two are completely independent.
            • 3. Re: Linux installing applications requires root password.
              silverknightutah Level 1
              First of all, on behalf of myself (and anyone else who has been wondering about this particular detail of Adobe AIR) let me thank you for your helpful reply. This does still leave me with a couple of questions, however...

quote:

Originally posted by: Ashutosh Sharma
              AIR applications are similar to regular native applications - they install as native rpm/deb packages. This requires access to the rpm/deb system database (e.g. rpm database lock). And this is required even if the installation folder is chosen to be one that is owned by the current non-root user. In addition, with root privileges, it's also possible to install applications to a location that is accessible to other users on the system.

I have confirmed for myself the accuracy of this information and I thank you for pointing it out. While this does make some sense on the surface, it does leave me wondering something about the security level of this install process. When I install applications from my Linux distribution's package sources, I have GPG (or PGP) cryptographic key signatures ensuring that all the packages are un-altered from their original form on the distribution's package servers, and a team of programmers assuring me that the code of these packages are (at least somewhat) safe as far as they are able to tell. I am thus far unable to find information leading me to believe that there is similar assurance that I am not willingly installing unknown malware (keystroke logger, spyware, etc.) disguised as a desktop widget (for example) when installing Adobe AIR applications. As a code savvy user, I can personally download and examine the code of many AIR apps to ensure their safety myself before installing, but what about users who understand code as well as they understand Martian language or ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs? Is there any assurance process in place for the average user similar to that of native distro packages? If so, can anyone point me to where that is discussed on the Adobe pages?

Also, as an aside note; root privileges are not technically REQUIRED in order to install an RPM package in a location which the user already has write access to, as I personally have on many occasions installed source code packages (SRPM) from my distribution's package manager in my home folder while logged in as a normal user (without the use of 'su' or 'sudo' or such) for the purpose of building newer versions of the RPM packages which they correspond to.

quote:

Originally posted by: Ashutosh Sharma
              However, do note that when they are launched, AIR applications run with the privileges of the user launching the application and not root. The primary executables of AIR applications (under the bin/ folder in the installation path) do not have the setuid bit set. You should not be worried about AIR applications running with root privileges, based on the fact that their installation required superuser access - the two are completely independent.

This does still go back to the original point about the security of the code itself which is being installed in the first place. What quality assurance process is in place (beyond the star ratings system on the application showcase site) to ensure that malware was not installed (as root) and then happily being run by all the users of a system while blissfully unaware of the capture of their passwords or other personal information? (Again, an example, and not the only such possible worry.) If such an assurance system is already in place, where can I (and other AIR users) read more about it?

The reasons for this concern should be obvious when one considers that a malicious application does not necessarily need to be run as root to still do a great deal of damage on a system and a sufficiently sneaky malware application could possibly even obtain root privileges once installed on a system through some other privilege escalation exploit. As an administrator of multiple systems and networks, I have to be cautious about which applications I allow on to a system or network for this very reason.

Please be aware that I am not making these points and asking these questions to be a "troublemaker" or to shoot down the achievements of the AIR team, or Adobe. To the contrary, I am very impressed by the technology that I've seen so far and would very much like to see AIR become and stay a genuinely useful part of the web ecosystem on all platforms. As a matter of fact, I'm personally reading a few different resources currently about how to develop AIR applications in anticipation of satisfactory answers to my few remaining concerns about AIR security worries. ;)

P.S.: If this forum was the wrong place to be discussing these specific types of issues and concerns, please feel free to point me toward a better place where such things should be better covered and where like-minded individuals and groups might either continue the discussion or resolve / close this concern entirely. An IRC channel where AIR devs hang out maybe, or perhaps another Adobe forum where security concerns are discussed, etc.? :)

Anyhow, sorry about the long rambling post. Thank you to Ashutosh Sharma for your initial reply to this thread, and thank you in advance to whoever may reply further and bring final resolution to any remaining worries I and others may have regarding these and similar potential security concerns. :)
              • 4. Re: Linux installing applications requires root password.
                arizonagroovejet Level 1

"AIR applications are similar to regular native applications - they install as native rpm/deb packages."

Why did Adobe chose to take this approach? Why was application installation not implemented so as to allow non-root users to install applications in to their own home directories without being asked for the root password?

Say I'm a student at a University which has a bunch of Linux machines in their labs. The University has put Air on the machines along with a couple of applications written by people at the Uni. The University doesn't give students root for reasons which ought to be obvious. I see an Air application I would like to use. I think I'll download it, install it in to my home directory and then I can use it on whichever machine in the lab I happen to log in to. But of course I can't do that. Wouldn't it be great if I could?