7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 1:19 PM by mollybd

Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs

billymart4392 Level 1

I just started my own t-shirt website and I am very new to this. My question is: If I purchase the Adobe Typekit with all of the fonts that are included... Can I use those fonts, put them onto t-shirt designs, and then sell them on my website?

• 1. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

This is really a Typekit question. Moving it to the new Typekit forum!

• 2. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
            Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

Legally, that's what fonts are for ! To create fixed visual renditions of characters.

It might be a tad different for web design (that's when fonts get sent out as files).

But you're doing and using exactly what these fonts are meant for.

One subtle note: you don't purchase Typekit – you subscribe to it.

• 3. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Actually, the original poster's question was quite valid!

It is absolutely not true in all cases that “legally, that's what fonts are for!”

What is true is that for any font, you need to read the End User License Agreement (preferably before you license the font, either as a perpetual license or as part of a subscription service such as is provided by Typekit) for any font you wish to use. In fact, some font foundries do prohibit certain commercial usage of fonts either entirely or without additional royalties – use in logos and on items such as tee shirts are some of the areas where we have indeed seen such restrictions.

Thus, I applaud Billy Martin for posing this question.

For any fonts licensed from Adobe, either as part of Font Folio, bundled with applications, licensed individually, or licensed as part of a Typekit subscription, there are in fact no restrictions against use of such fonts as part of a logo or design including designs used on items for sale (such as tee shirts).

- Dov

• 4. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
                billymart4392 Level 1

Is there an official list of fonts that are included with the Typekit? I have been using a font called "Impact."  From what I can find it is a Microsoft font.  I am not sure if that is included with the Typekit fonts.

• 5. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
                  billymart4392 Level 1

Is there an official list of fonts that are included with the Typekit? I have been using a font called "Impact."  From what I can find it is a Microsoft font.  I am not sure if that is included with the Typekit fonts.

This is becoming an incredibly frustrating process. I just want to know where I can purchase the IMPACT font and be able to use it to print tee-shirts with that font

• 6. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
                    Peter Villevoye Adobe Community Professional

@Dov: Duly noted. But apart from a situation in which certain available fonts might indeed be restricted, the question was about the Typekit fonts. (Maybe I should have stated "these fonts" more clearly in my first sentence as well. Sorry for any misunderstanding.) The basic use of the Typekit fonts which appear in desktop applications like Photoshop and Illustrator, is to create character renditions, serving exactly the described purpose – commercial or not. If that can't be said of the Typekit desktop fonts, then it's better to shut it down or start a law firm. The difference between Adobe's standard set, Typekit's desktop and web catalogue, and the Edge Webfonts is already driving users crazy.

Back to BillyMart's question: if the Impact font is available on a system, it's probably because its licensed installation and use has been granted by Microsoft, not Adobe or Apple. You can easily see a Typekit font's availability at the Typekit's website. Simply log in with your Adobe ID and browse/search the collections. And Impact is indeed not available through Typekit. It's available at Fonts.com, as a perpetual license, or through a similar subscription service like Typekit, called SkyFonts.

I hope Dov won't shoot me for mentioning this... ;-)

• 7. Re: Commercial Font Use for T-Shirt Designs
                      mollybd Adobe Employee

There is no official list of Typekit fonts, but if you search for a font on Typekit.com and get no results then you'll have to purchase a perpetual desktop license from a reseller.

Unfortunately Impact is not part of the Typekit library, but you can purchase a license here:

Impact™ - Webfont & Desktop font « MyFonts