15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 5:09 AM by williamh30699131

Colour setup

williamh30699131 Level 1

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question i would like to run past you.

If im exporting my images to PDF from InDesign to send to a printer in a certain CMYK colour profile, should the rest of the Adobe applications be set to this profile as well for consistency?

If you need any clarification please feel free to ask me.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Colour setup
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Synchronizing your Color Settings usually has no affect on existing documents. Syncing is useful when you are starting a new project and you want to make consistent color conversions in the different apps as you work.

The easiest way to accomplish what you are describing is to make sure your printer's profile is assigned to the ID doc (Edit>Assign Profiles...), place RGB images with embedded profiles and set the Destination in the PDF Export dialog to Document CMYK.

• 2. Re: Colour setup
            williamh30699131 Level 1

Thanks for the reply rob,

Currently we only use the one printing company for our brochures and flyers. Would it be wise to set the Profiles to be consistent through all of the adobe applications (PS,ID,Ill) so that all images look the same.

Also i prefer to work with RGB images in PS and then convert them to CMYK when exporting out of ID, what is the best RGB profile to use for my RGB images?

Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Colour setup

Would it be wise to set the Profiles to be consistent through all of the adobe applications (PS,ID,Ill) so that all images look the same.

Sure, but keep in mind that Color Settings is setting the application color setup and doesn't usually affect how existing documents are color managed. The only exceptions are documents or images created with the CM Policy set to Off and have no assigned profile. When there's no profile assignment the Color Settings' Working Space is used as the source profile for conversions.

With an RGB print workflow it's very important to embed profiles because there will be a conversion somewhere in the future—in PS, at export, or at output—and you need the source profile to make the correct conversion to CMYK. I would use AdobeRGB.

• 4. Re: Colour setup

Setting or changing existing InDesign document color settings can be tricky because the profiles and policies are saved with the document on creation. To change the Policies you have to turn on the Color Settings warnings, which can be annoying.

If you are using OSX try this AppleScript for setting existing document's color assignments and policies

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/ChangeDocumentPolicies.zip

The dialog looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.54.07 AM.png

• 5. Re: Colour setup
                  williamh30699131 Level 1

I beleive all of the images have been setup in AdobeRGB.

Just so im clear in my mind, when I save the RGB images i need to make sure the colour profile is AdobeRGB and when i save that image the Color Profile box is ticked, and then i can place them into ID? Actually going through alot of the images here, i see alot of different RGB profiles being used (DocumentRGB, sRGB etc). I assume this is not a great scenario.

Also CMYK seems to be set up as Coated FOGRA, unsure if this is correct but it looks washed out

If im getting away from being helpful please let me know

• 6. Re: Colour setup
                    williamh30699131 Level 1

The printer we use also has a website that provides a ICC profile. Is this what i should be using for the CMYK colour space??

• 7. Re: Colour setup

I beleive all of the images have been setup in AdobeRGB.

In Photoshop you can set the info in the lower left corner of the image window to Document Profile, which makes it easy to see the assignment. If there's no embedded profile it would read Untagged. When you save you want to make sure Embed Color Profile is checked:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 9.19.13 AM.png

When DocumentRGB shows as the profile in ID's Links panel, it usually means the image has no embedded profile and the document's assigned RGB profile will be used. The problem with that is the intended or source color profile has been lost—maybe it was AdobeRGB or maybe not. If you changed the document's RGB profile, the appearance of that untagged file would change—try switching the assignment (Edit>Assign Profiles...) to something unusual like ProPhotoRGB and you'll see the image change.

As long as the source profile is embedded it's OK to have a mix of RGB images with different profiles placed in a layout, but as a general practice I would avoid it. In Photoshop use Convert to Profile to get all of your RGB images into AdobeRGB.

to send to a printer in a certain CMYK colour profile...

Also CMYK seems to be set up as Coated FOGRA, unsure if this is correct but it looks washed out

Is Fogra your printer's requested profile?

• 8. Re: Colour setup

The printer we use also has a website that provides a ICC profile. Is this what i should be using for the CMYK colour space??

Yes. When you work with RGB images you'll want to turn on Overprint Preview in InDesign which will show you how out-of-gamut RGB colors will be converted into the document's assigned CMYK space

• 9. Re: Colour setup
                          williamh30699131 Level 1

The profile they provide on their website is ISO Coated v2 (ECI), i have emailed them to confirm if thats how i should send the print ready files but no reply as yet. I assume it would be or why provide it. Colours are much brighter when i switch between them.

• 10. Re: Colour setup

Colours are much brighter when i switch between them.

Do you have View>Overprint turned on?

• 11. Re: Colour setup
                              williamh30699131 Level 1

I usually have it turned off when im working. I thought overprint preview was to go between low res and high res, didnt think it affected colours at all. I though Proof Colours was used to see how the colours would change in the different colour space??

• 12. Re: Colour setup

I thought overprint preview was to go between low res and high res

No it shows both overprints and the expected preview of the colors when they are output to the document's CMYK profile. View>Display Performance handles the preview resolution.

So here's a clearly unprintable RGB green, and a cyan fill set to overprint magenta with OP off and on:

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 11.07.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 11.08.01 AM.png

You don't need to use Proof Colors to soft proof for document CMYK. Also Proof Setup doesn't set the document's profile—you have to use Edit>Assign Profiles..., or Edit Convert to Profile to change an existing document's profile.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 11.48.30 AM.png

• 13. Re: Colour setup
                                  williamh30699131 Level 1

Okay thanks for that bit of info.

To be on the safe side is it best to set my RGB space to AdobeRGB and my CMYK space to the ISO Coated v2 for all of my new work and then go back and convert all of my existing documents to these spaces??

• 14. Re: Colour setup

I would use Convert To for RGB images, which will almost always preserve their appearance.

For the document CMYK assignment I would use Assign Profiles. There isn't much difference between Fogra and ISO Coated and CMYK-to-CMYK conversions can introduce unwanted effects depending on the Conversion Intent settings. A color like 50% black would convert to a 4-color mix, or a fully saturated mix like 100% cyan or yellow can get contaminated with other colors. In general you want to avoid CMYK-to-CMYK conversions, that's why placing RGB has become standard practice.

• 15. Re: Colour setup
                                      williamh30699131 Level 1

Thanks rob for all of your help