4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 11:34 AM by RockyDavies

How do I make a layer not warp or bend at all?

RockyDavies Level 1

I'm sure I'm just missing some simple box click or something.  I have a robot character and I don't want his body to bend or warp at all with my movements.  I want it to shift and such with my movements, but not warp.  I tried adding a bunch of fixed points or sticks, but the robot's chest along with button decorations and such keep warping with movements.  Can I just make that layer or group rigid?

Thanks again!  Everyone's help has been awesome.

• 1. Re: How do I make a layer not warp or bend at all?
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

To not have it move at all, try moving the body outside of the character - that means it won't be affected by the head at all.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 2.25.58 PM.png

And then if you wanted the character to shift slightly, you could record a pass with Transform > Rotation to add some manual shifting.

If you want to keep them connected, I've found the most luck in turning the Face parameters way down - 25% or lower - to get more minimal warping overall for the full character. And yeah, lots of sticks.

But this should be easier - we hope to give more control for overall warping in future releases.

• 2. Re: How do I make a layer not warp or bend at all?
            RockyDavies Level 1

Okay, I tried that and a couple other arrangements.  I got one thing to work and then lost the ability of the other, haha!  Somehow I got the body to stay perfectly rigid and not warp at all, but in the process, I lost the independent movement of the head from the body?  Here is a look at my layers-

layer-head-body.jpg

I deleted the foot anchor points on the body layers, I think that might have something to do with it?  That allowed the body to float and move without warping, but it might have also effected the head independence?  I'd like to keep my current body setup and properties but add back in the free head movement according to my camera feed.

I did a quick little screen record so you can see what is working and what isn't.  I just recorded with my phone 'cause I'm an idiot and new to all this and it seemed like the easiest way, haha.  I showed how the puppet currently works and what isn't working still (I broke the arms somehow).  Thanks for your help!

Youtube link to video sample and questions:

• 3. Re: How do I make a layer not warp or bend at all?
              oksamurai Employee Moderator

Yeah, it can be trial and error sometimes. Can you send me your psd and I'll take a closer look? werner at adobe dot com. If it's too big for email, feel free to send a link to a dropbox, creative cloud link, etc. Thanks!

• 4. Re: How do I make a layer not warp or bend at all?
                RockyDavies Level 1

I sent it off!  The file was 12 MB, hopefully that's not too huge.  Just let me know if it doesn't come and I can do a link here or in email.

Thanks a ton for all the help, it is a fun program to play with and start to learn.