3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 11:15 AM by petera61912081

Is this the right program for me to use to replace Picasa.

1nani

I am trying to replace my beloved Picasa which is going away in May. I downloaded a 30 day trial to see if this would work for me.I am strictly a hobby photographer and use them for making scrapbooks and photo books for family. I want a simple folder structure that allows me to make and title folders and organize them chronologically by year. The catalog, collection, folder tutorials did not make it clear how to do this. Would the year be the folder and the groups of photos I import be a sub folder or would the year be a collection and the groups of photos be folders? This is way more complicated than I am used to and probably way more than I need so I'm not sure I am up to the learning curve. I am also concerned that when I share photos it will be the edited copy. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Is this the right program for me to use to replace Picasa.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is a much more robust program than Picasa, and it takes a little time to understand how it really works. Lightroom will not automatically display all the images that you have on your computer. Images are added to the Lightroom catalog (which is a database) through the import process. You can organize your folders any way you want to. I typically organize my folders by year and then by shooting date. After you import images into Lightroom you can make adjustments to them until they look the way you want them to look. But those adjustments are not applied to the image. They are stored in the catalog, and the adjustments are retrieved whenever the image is selected or highlighted. When you want to share an image with all of its adjustments you need to use the export function to export a copy. That copy will include all of the adjustments that have been made using Lightroom. The catalog is the main file that Lightroom opens and makes changes to. You need to ensure that the catalog is backed up on a regular basis. But you also need to create a backup of your images. Your images are not in Lightroom. They are in folders on your hard drive. I suggest that you take the time to watch the series of "Getting Started" videos that I am providing a link to. They were created for Lightroom 5, but everything that is illustrated applies to Lightroom 6 as well.

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is this the right program for me to use to replace Picasa.
            Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi 1nani,

• When you import your images in Lightroom, it will keep the smart previews for the images within the catalog. It will not store your images within the software
            • Yes, at the time of import you can create a folder with the custom name or Date.
            • Folders will listed under library with the same name as the destination folder.
            • You can create multiple collection in Lightroom and keep some special images there

Also, you can refer the getting started video for Lightroom, refer: Get started with photography in Lightroom and Photoshop | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

Getting Started with Lightroom CC - YouTube

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Mohit

• 3. Re: Is this the right program for me to use to replace Picasa.
              petera61912081 Level 1

Your question is flagged to have been correctly answered.  I'm not so sure. 

Did you use the People feature of Picasa?  and were you able to port your people tags over to Lightroom?  I can see where Lightroom can manage your albums easily enough, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you went through the trouble of tagging faces in Picasa, that you had to do this again in Lightroom.  I've been researching this for about a week now and haven't seen anyone come up with a definitive migration path for Picasa catalogs (complete with facial recognition tag data) to Lightroom, Elements Organizer or any other piece of photo management software.

If you did, please share.

Thanks