16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 9:16 AM by whsprague

I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.

Houndogsteve

It has run well until today when it opened but refused to initialize. A Windows box opened up warning that Elements 14 had stopped working. I also have Elements 12 still and it also refused to open. The onle changes I have made since the last time I used elements are : I installed a Logitech HD Web Cam and Although I already had Real Player I took a free upgrade. Other than that I have made no changes. Help Please!!! Any suggestions welcome. Be well, Steve

• 1. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try starting up the program while holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the LEFT SIDE of your keyboard.

You should get a warning that doing this will change something on your computer. Okay this and it will clear any corruptions and allow the program to start.

If not, you may need to  uninstall and reinstall the program.

There may be other causes that will take much deeper troubleshooting, but that will take care of the most obvious.

Meantime, make sure you've gone to Windows Update and manually downloaded all the updates, including the ones that don't install automatically, and make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime. Also strongly consider upgrading your OS to Windows 10.

• 2. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
            Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the prompt reply. I followed your instructions to the letter re updates for Windows 7. I tried to download Quick time but the installer stopped working before it finished. I uninstalled Elements 14 and reinstalled during which a notice popped up "Invalid Parameter" which I closed continued with the install however even though it said that Elements was "Ready to use" still refused to initialize. How can this possibly be that all is working well one day and not the next? I really don`t want to download Windows 10 as I`ve heard that there are still issues with it and it is a learning curve to operate........ I am now totally stuck, I have video work to do that has a deadline, and I can`t access any Elements program. I would really appreciate any ideas, suggestions or options.....Thanks

• 3. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
              Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi, I just Googled "Adobe Elements 14 won`t open" guess how many other people are having the same prob? Thousands....Check it out! Any hope of a patch/upgrade/fix soon?

• 4. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                whsprague Level 4

I took your suggestion and Googled "Adobe Elements 14 won`t open".  Most of the "hits" point back to this forum.  I counted about a dozen.  How did you come up with "thousands"?

• 5. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uninstall the webcam and de install Real Player.

See if you can open

• 6. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.

Personally, I'd recommend an upgrade to Windows 10 and quit basing my decisions on reports and complaints I saw online. Windows 10 is the future of Windows, and it will likely resolve a number of your issues. That's not meant to sound as a judgment. Just advice based on my experience, for whatever that's worth.

I'd also recommend you give an uninstall/reinstall another chance. This time, after you uninstall, run CCleaner to clear out your registry -- then reinstall.

You're not likely to see a patch for an issue that can't be easily duplicated. As Ann says, if the program used to work and then suddenly stopped, it's likely because something you added fouled things up. It could be the webcam or RealPlayer. But, again, upgrading to Windows 10 and then reinstalling the program will likely resolve the problem.

My opinion anyway. Take it or leave it.

• 7. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                      Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi, okay, yes I exaggerated, I`m  frustrated. I have just lost access to 100`s of hours of work, some of which have a deadline. I have absolutely no idea what to do next.....Be well, Steve 

• 8. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                        Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi Ann, I have just finished doing that and reinstalled to no avail, right after I had installed PRE 14 there was a massive update file from Adobe, I was hoping against hope that it was some kind of patch. I now have 100`s of hours of work that I cannot access, some with deadlines.........please if you have any further ideas I would appreciate it, Thanks, Be well, Steve

• 9. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                          Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi Steve, I am just looking at your youtube channel, interesting stuff. I just installed cleaner and I just got a massive update  from Adobe, still does`nt work. I did get RealPlayer out and the web cam too. I understand your take on Windows 10, but every new version has had issues initially (ie Vista) I was talking to a Microsoft Manager and he told me that Windows 7 will be supported for 2 more years. Adobe Elements did work on 7 no prob. I Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti virus and I don`t down load suspect software off the internet.  So Steve, my core problem is that I have 100`s of hours of work trapped, some with deadlines. I really need to access that work are there any other options, should I download a new copy from Adobe? is there another Video editing program that I can use that will play adobe stuff. Is there a way to contact Adobe directly? Any help is thankfully received. Be well, Steve

• 10. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                            whsprague Level 4

Premier Elements by default backs up your project.  I forget the original default time interval, but it is a lot less than 100 hours.  I've got mine set to 10 minutes.  Unless you've turned something off, the backups are in a folder called "Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save".  They will be labeled xxxxxx-1.prel, xxxxxx-2.prel, etc where xxxxxx is the name of the project.

• 11. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.

Bill is right. You still haven't told us if you can browse to the .prel file or its backups using Windows Explorer. That's key.

If the file is indeed gone (as well as several backups) you've definitely got some sort of malware at work. How did the scan with Malware Bytes go?

• 12. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                                Houndogsteve Level 1

Hi Steve, okay.......what I decided to do was uninstall all Adobe Elements files, got all my Windows updates done, scanned with security essentials and CCleaner restarted my computer and I purchased a new version of 14, downloaded it... (yes I must be mad.....$119 US and a 40% premium on the Canadian exchange) anyway, guess what....it won`t launch! so I guess that narrows it down a bit to the computer has a problem, but every scan showed up clean. The upside is that I can open my files in Windows Movie Maker, so all the files are intact. I`d really like to solve/resolve this issue and I appreciate your input and patience, it would be great if we could solve this little mystery together...we could make a video of it all if we solve it...I can`t be the only one....Be well, Steve

• 13. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.

Sorry we couldn't help you to a better solution, Houndog.

• 14. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                                    Houndogsteve Level 1

Hey Steve, do you know if there is a way to contact Adobe directly?

• 15. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                                      Houndogsteve Level 1

Oh Hey, I forgot to mention that the Organizer part of PRE 14 works and I can access all my videos and play them. So the program is partially working, I just can`t edit, so now is it the computer or the software? Curious! Plus all other video programs are working ie Windows Movie Maker ....no probs there either. You have access to a much broader community than I, please ask around. Thanks, Be well, steve

• 16. Re: I`m running Elements 14 on Windows 7.
                                        whsprague Level 4

Try this:  https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=PRE

I've never needed it.  Some have reported that if you are persistent, someone, somewhere in the world, can remotely take over your computer and make PrE run.