5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 10:44 AM by Dave LaRonde

Interprate Framerate

Ringozo

Hi everyone,

I shot on 50 fps and then in a 25fps comp, I stretched all the footage to 200% so that it runs in slow motion.

But this seems to cause some troubles to AE when rendering out. Mostly on stabilized shots.

So I'm now thinking of dropping the time remap and making AE's calculations easier by interprating the footage as a 25fps as the result will be the same.

BUT, by doing so, all my clips get offset.

Any ideas on what's the best way to go here?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Interprate Framerate
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Highlight a clip you want to slow down.  Go File>Interpret>Main.  Change the frame rate from 50 to 25.  You're done.

Unless, of course, the piece you want to slow down is just part of a much larger clip.  That would be a mess.  In which case you could import the big clip again, conform it to 25, and put it in its own folder -- "Slomo", perhaps.  Then your problem becomes one of finding in & out points.  AE really sucks at video editing.

• 2. Re: Interprate Framerate
            Ringozo Level 1

Hi Dave!

Thanks for your answer.

Yeah, the problem is that this is a whole PP sequence imported to AE. All clips are edits of the whole footage, stitched together in Premiere and now imported to AE for further enhancement.

I am kind of looking for an automation not to have to resync everything manually...

But I guess there's no solution.

• 3. Re: Interprate Framerate
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Not an automated solution.

But you CAN export individual, trimmed clips from PP as standalone lossless video files to preserve image quality.  I like QT movies in PNG, Photo JPEG, Animation or ProRes 422 codecs for the chore.

Then import into AE, Interpret / Conform to the new frame rate, and place them in your comp.  It's a little less painful.

• 4. Re: Interprate Framerate
                Ringozo Level 1

But you CAN export individual, trimmed clips from PP as standalone lossless video files

Is there a way to automate that then? Or do I have to individually set in and out points for each clip to export?

• 5. Re: Interprate Framerate
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

As far as I know, exporting from PP can't be automated.  Something like that would verge on the need for clairvoyant software.  PP's good, but I don't think it's THAT good.