1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 4:24 PM by Darrellart

Camera Raw opened as Smart Object isn't re-opening Camera Raw on Double-Click!

Darrellart

I can't get Camera Raw dialog to reappear after I open an image as a Smart Object into Photoshop.

Note that I am opening from Photoshop CS6, not Bridge or Lightroom. I use Open As... (Shift-Ctrl-Alt-O)  and  select Camera Raw in the File Type dropdown to open a standard PSD file. It comes up in the Camera Raw dialog. After making edits (and saving them as a preset) I Shift-Click the CR open button to change it to Open as Object.

It comes up in Photoshop with the edits. The Layer thumbnail  shows the little Smart Object icon on it. But when I double-click on it the Camera Raw dialog doesn't come up. Instead Photoshop opens what appears to be an embedded copy of the original image with no edits. It has a .psd extension, not the usual .psb extension. Furthermore, making any change to this document and saving it has bizarre results on the original image.

I swear I got it to work once early today, but now it's doing this again and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I thought it might be a glitch but rebooting hasn't helped.

Thanks a ton if you can figure this out!

• 1. Re: Camera Raw opened as Smart Object isn't re-opening Camera Raw on Double-Click!
          Darrellart Level 1

I've since realized that opening a JPG or PNG (and presumably a RAW) file as Camera Raw works okay. That is, I can edit in Camera Raw then Shift-click to Open As Object and the Smart Object works properly in Photoshop. It's only when I try to open a PSD file type using the File > Open As... (File Type: Camera Raw) that I get the bizarre behavior when I open the CR mods as a Smart Object. Does anyone know why it works with a JPG or PNG but doesn't work with a PSD file?

AFTER I have the JPG or PNG opened as a Smart Object, I can then save it as a PSD and the Smart Objects work fine.