7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 8:22 AM by Szalam

Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working

_imagine_sarah

I made a lower thirds template in After Effects and tried to import it into my Premiere Pro project, and I could not change the live text in the composition. I made sure to check off the template setting in the composition settings, and I still cannot change the text layers. No layers are locked either. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I am using both After Effects CC 2015 and Premiere Pro CC 2015

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd just blow off the text layer in AE, make a note of the typeface you used, and do in Premiere.  There isn't much reason to have it in the first place.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use the editable text feature all the time and it's not intuitive at all. Type Editable Text or AE text in Premiere in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE and check out the community resources. I had to go through the tutorial from Adobe before I could figure out how to use the feature. I'd point to the tutorial now but I'm on a crew bus going through the mountains.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

When you're in Premiere Pro, the key point to using Text Template compositions is that the live text is a property of that comp's footage item Project panel, not the clip in the Timeline panel.

So, assuming that you have at least one unlocked text layer in the After Effects composition that you've imported into Premiere Pro, and you've enabled the Template property in that comp's Composition Settings dialog (in After Effects):

1. In Premiere Pro's composition panel, double-click on the composition, which will open it in the Source panel.
              2. Click on the Effect Controls panel.

You should now see your text layers as editable fields. If you make changes to the text, it will update any use of that comp in your sequence.

Now, here's the trick to reusing the comp: if you duplicate the comp's footage item in the project, each instance of the comp can have its text edited separately. You can create multiple instances of the same, for example, lower thirds title in the Project panel, and each of these can have separate text changes.

Does that make sense? I'll agree that this is not the most intuitive way to use Text Templates, but it has a sort of logic to it. We're researching ways to make Text Templates more useful in the future.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
                elitedudman Level 1

Thanks Tim, very helpful.

I have been using Live Text Templates for a few months now and have some developed some AE lower third animations that use expressions to change the colour of the text based on another live text field input:

AE Live Template Screenshot 01.png

Here's a reference image for the animation:

AE Live Template Screenshot 02.pngAE Live Template Screenshot 03.png

The idea is to allow the sequence of colours in the animation to be customizable. The expressions worked in the After Effects project, but once this was brought over to Premiere Pro as a Live Text Template, the AE composition was not responsive to changes made in Premiere.

Is there a way to "refresh" the AE Live Text Template composition within Premiere, or is there another method for achieving the functionality I'm looking for here?

As a further inquiry, does Adobe have any intention to extend the functionality of the Live Templates to include customizable options such as colour or even drop zones for media placement (as seen in Apple Motion and FCP products)?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
                  Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

The expressions worked in the After Effects project, but once this was brought over to Premiere Pro as a Live Text Template, the AE composition was not responsive to changes made in Premiere.

Are you using the latest updates, Premiere Pro and After Effects CC 2015.3? If so, there is a bug where Live Text Templates fail to update in certain cases, or render the text incorrectly. Use of expressions to change the text, and long text that introduces a line break are the two known issues. We're working on a fix for this now, sorry about the interference.

Otherwise, the frame should update automatically.

As a further inquiry, does Adobe have any intention to extend the functionality of the Live Templates to include customizable options such as colour or even drop zones for media placement (as seen in Apple Motion and FCP products)?

Copy/paste from my last post: We're researching ways to make Text Templates more useful in the future.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
                    elitedudman Level 1

Ah ok that makes sense -- I'm using the latest CC 2015.3 updates for these. Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing how you guys expand upon Text Templates in the future.

Cheers!

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Live Text Not Working
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Until the bug gets fixed, don't forget, you can install the older CC 2015 versions alongside the new CC 2015.3 versions (I think of the new updates as if they are CC 2016 since it works as if they were...) Your CC subscription includes all versions of AE from CS6 through CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, and CC 2015.3

Instructions on how to download older versions here.