3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 9:48 PM by wobertc

Transferring Catalog from one Mac to another is not working?

southwestform Level 1

I copied an entire Lightroom Catalog folder from one Mac to another, and I placed it into the Documents folder on the new Mac. I was expecting it to just open up when I launched CC2015, though it does not see it.

1. What do I need to do to repoint CC2015 to this Catalog folder?

2. Before I do this, can I place the main folder anywhere on the computer as long as I indicate in LR where it is located? Are there any benefits to placing it in any particular location or is it just user preference?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Transferring Catalog from one Mac to another is not working?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi southwestform,

It is your choice where you want to keep your Lightroom Catalog.

Mostly people keep it in Pictures folder so, you can move it to Pictures folder if you want.

Once done, directly double click on that .lrcat file so that it would directly open with Lightroom. 

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Transferring Catalog from one Mac to another is not working?
            southwestform Level 1

My Lightroom Catalog folder is a total mess containing multiple backups from multiple years of switching computers and not knowing what I was doing. I'd like to clean it up before I start using LR on the new Mac. 

1. Do I just double-click on the most recent .lrcat file which appears to be the one on top from Feb 27?

2. Do I need the Lightroom Catalog previews.lrdata file that is 26.19 GB?

3. If everything works as expected when I double-click the .lrcat file, can I safely delete all of the older .lrcat files from LR 5 and LR 4 along with the .lrdata files?

4. How does the typical organized LR catalog folder look? How many backups do I need?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 4.29.50 PM.png

• 3. Re: Transferring Catalog from one Mac to another is not working?
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

IMO, you should keep the high-lighted folders & files in the screen-clip below-

ie. Your most recent working catalog dated  Feb 27 2016 with its previews folder.

and Keep a few Backup folders.

Everything else could be deleted.

Catalog Backups should not be in the same folder as your working catalog- if the disk-drive fails you have lost the lot.!!

Screen+Shot+2016-03-03+at+4.29.50+PM.png

The Catalog dated Feb 9 2016, {Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat } might also contain development work not in the Feb 27 catalog.- so maybe preserve it also!

You could delete the "Previews" folder, but Lightroom will slow down a bit as it re-builds the previews when you re-open  {Lightroom Catalog.lrcat}