3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 6:40 AM by dj_paige

How do I access network folders

Photosteve729 Level 1

Complicated problem: I have my photographs stored on external drives, shared. When I connect to them through my laptop using home WiFi, they show up as existing, allow me access for viewing and editing after Import. When I direct connect my laptop to these drives via a USB hub, the drives and their folders appear as a different name. I can still see the drive designations but Windows will not access them (denied permission even though those same drives allow access through WiFi). This is a huge problem because it means I either have to edit twice (different imports) or always connect directly. I want to connect directly so that I can use my desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard but also want to access files when not directly connected.

To add to this, LR does allow me to connect to photos stored on my desktop's internal drive. As far as I can tell, Sharing settings are the same for internal and external drives. "As far as I can tell" is the key, I believe as there must be something different. Can anyone help me with this problem. I realize it is mainly a Windows issue but Lightroom's import/catalog processes make this a big issue for (and only for) Lightroom.

• 1. Re: How do I access network folders
          dj_paige Level 9

When I direct connect my laptop to these drives via a USB hub, the drives and their folders appear as a different name

I understand why the drives would show up as a different name; I am not understanding why the folders appear as a different name.

I can still see the drive designations but Windows will not access them (denied permission even though those same drives allow access through WiFi).

This is a Windows issue, you'd need to change the permissions in Windows. Once you are able to access the photos, you should be able to make use of them in Lightroom, you'd have to reconnect the photos using these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: How do I access network folders
            Photosteve729 Level 1

Sorry. The individual folders within the drives do retain the same name regardless of how the drives are labelled. When direct connected through USB, drives carry their names (Seagate...) along with a letter designation. Then, subfolders (photos/2016/Feb 2016) carry the name with them (e:\photos....) etc.

I realize this is a Windows issue but haven't been able to find help there. This only affects Lightroom. In PS Elements, for example, the same photos show up regardless of network designations.

• 3. Re: How do I access network folders
              dj_paige Level 9

If the drive letter changes, you can force the drive letter to be the same no matter how you connect. This is a Windows function. Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

Or, as I said, you can reconnect the catalog in Lightroom using the link I gave in my previous message.

1 person found this helpful