6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 9:23 AM by Lynn6789

Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9

Lynn6789 Level 1

With regards to recording a new Software Simulation > Assessment in Cap 9:

I have enabled Edit > Preferences > Recording Modes > Assessment Simulation > Click Boxes > Failure Caption

When I record an assessment, however, it inserts Failure Shapes instead of Failure Captions.  This is inconvenient as I cannot use the Callout options ("tails") that are available with caption styles to point to a very specific spot on the screen.  Is there anyway to have it generate failure captions instead of shapes as it did in Cap 7?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Shapes are much more flexible than captions, you can even move the 'tail' of the Callout shapes.

But it is your choice: for Demonstration mode you can override the global setting in Preferences, Defaults (in CP9 default is Shapes instead of Captions) under Recording, Modes. That is not the case for Assessment which will follow the global setting under Preferences, Defaults. Failure captions will however never have a tail, not as shape, not as caption. As you can choose a 'tailed' version for captions, you can also change to such a version for shapes (Replace shape), even with more possiblities for the 'form' of that shape.

Preferences will only apply to new simulations. If you want to convert in existing slides, use the right-click menu, Revert to Text Caption.

• 2. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9
            Lynn6789 Level 1

Thanks Lilybiri, this is helpful.  I did not think of using the callout shape.  Do I have to change each failure shape individually?  I cannot see an option to change the Default Failure Shape Style to a callout shape (Edit > Preferences > Defaults > Default Caption Style > Standard Objects > Smart Shapes > Failure Shape).

• 3. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9

Can you change the normal Failure caption style globally to a callout caption? AFAIK only the added tips in Demonstration mode have 'tails', both for captions and for shapes. That is not the case for Success/Failure captions/shapes. Form is not part of the style in the Object Style Manager.

• 4. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9
                Lynn6789 Level 1

Above you mention "But it is your choice" to have failure captions instead of shapes. Can you please tell me specifically how to do this for Assessments? I cannot figure it out and would like to have that option.  Thanks

• 5. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9

I wrote that in my first answer. Assessment will follow the General settings that you specify for SFH: if it is set the Smart Shapes you'll get smart shapes (default setting), if not you'll get captions. Only for Demonstration it is possible to 'override' those general settings.

• 6. Re: Assessment Failure Captions in Captivate 9
                    Lynn6789 Level 1

Thanks - I see it now.  I was fixated on the Object Style Manager