6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2016 10:10 AM by Laubender

Tables and graphic elements

SPrivitera

Hi,

I have to build a template for a client in indesign where everything on the page is in one table. I have a few graphics with numbers inside of boxes that I can't figure out how to put in the chart. I tried changing the cell to graphic, but it still won't let me put it inside the cell. Currently, I have my table with all the text inside the cells with the graphic elements on top. How do I get them inside the cell? Thanks

• 1. Re: Tables and graphic elements
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Try to select the cell, then file>place

• 2. Re: Tables and graphic elements
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of InDesign do you have? Operating system?

• 3. Re: Tables and graphic elements
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to anchor the graphics in the cells.

1. Select a graphic; Edit > Cut
              2. (Dbl)-Click an insertion point in the desired cell as though you intend to type text in to it...
              3. Edit > Paste

Note that the anchored graphic will be subject to all the cell's text properties; insets, alignment, etc., not to mention its own anchored object options, all of which can be adjusted as needed to achieve the desired positioning and fit.

• 4. Re: Tables and graphic elements
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually, John, the reason I asked the poster what version of InDesign they are using was that, beginning in InDesign CC 2015, you don't have to place graphics as anchored objects.

If you make cells graphic cells (Table > Convert Cell to Graphic Cell), you should be able to use File > Place to place a graphic into the cell. Like this:

InDesign CC035.png

InDesign CC036.png

• 5. Re: Tables and graphic elements
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Steve and SPrivitera,

with InDesign CC 2015.2 you can simply place the image in a cell when the placegun is loaded.

Be it a text cell or a graphic cell.

With nothing selected and the placegun is loaded with one or more graphics the only prerequisite for both types of cells is that the target cell should be empty.

Text cells containing no text would fit, graphic cells containing no image—just the empty container frame—would fit.

In case of an empty text cell, placing an image from the placegun will automatically convert the cell to a graphic cell.

Removing the container frame in a graphic cell will convert the graphic cell to a text cell.

1. To anchor a graphic in a text cell containing text when already loaded in the placegun is not possible.

2. To anchor a single graphic through the place command when text or a insertion point in text is selected, is possible.
                  But I will not recommend it, because you have no direct control of the size of the placed image and the cell would likely overflow after placing.
                  That's depending on the size of the graphic.

Back to SPrivitera's problem:
                  If the graphic that should go inside a cell is something else than a single container object with a graphic inside—let's say a group of objects—one could:

A. First convert a text cell to a graphic cell and Copy/Paste Inside the group to the empty container in the cell or:

B. Select an insertion point in a text cell and paste the group inside

Uwe

• 6. Re: Tables and graphic elements
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Forgot one thing:
                    If you want to change the contents of an already populated graphic cell, just load an image to the placegun, position the placegun on top of the image in the graphic cell, hold the ALT key (on Mac OSX) and click. The image in the graphic cell will change to the one in the placegun.

Uwe