1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 8:02 AM by Szalam

Just updated to 13.7 and am experiencing serious memory allocation issues.

boddysnatcher Level 1

Since updating After Effects CC15 from 13.6 to 13.7.0.124 I have been running into constant memory issues. After Effects is telling me it doesn't have enough ram to display my current frame. Then I open Activity Monitor to check and, of the 32 GB installed, usually about 10 GB are still available. I have tried trashing AE's preferences and purging memory and caches. Trashing preferences and restarting seemed to help for a little while but now it's back. Once the error pops up and I click okay, another one pops immediately and this basically continues until I quit the program. I AM working with somewhat large PNG files with alpha channels(3600x2025), but I've worked with this size files, on this computer, in previous versions of the software, without issues. I've switched over to AE CC14 as a work around and so far I haven't received the error.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 10.53.35 AM.png

Here are my specs:

Mac Pro (2010) – 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

ATI Radeon HD 5770

OSX Yosemite – 10.10.5

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Just updated to 13.7 and am experiencing serious memory allocation issues.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The AE team is trying to nail down problems with the new preview system and your issues may help them do that! I'd recommend filing a bug report and give them as much info as you can: Feature Request/Bug Report Form The fact that it worked fine in 13.6.1, but not 13.7.0 would be quite useful for them to know, I'm sure.

Have you tried messing around with some of the preferences? You could try things like the hardware accelerate panels option and changing the amount of memory reserved for Adobe apps, among other things.

If you don't have the time to mess with that, working in CC 2014 is still a good option. AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's clearly still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to get a job done.

Alternatively, you could install CC 2015, but only update to version 13.6.1.