4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 9:03 AM by Gunidan

How can I export my book to Adobe PDF without it being aborted with a "Print Error" message?

Gunidan

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2015 on Windows 7 and working on a book with several chapters with each chapter being a separate document. Several tries to export the book into Adobe PDF failed with the following notice:

"Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problems."

When I run the 'Package Book For Print' command, it shows that there are some fonts and images missing. However, as far as I know, I have replaced all missing fonts and I am unable to see any missing fonts or images on the computer screen. Individual documents of the book export to Adobe PDF without any problem but the book will not print as a whole affecting the table of contents and page numbering (i.e. Roman numerals in the front end vs Hindu-Arabic in the rest of the book). I am frustrated because InDesign is not telling me what the problem. I will appreciate any help in this regard.

• 1. Re: How can I export my book to Adobe PDF without it being aborted with a "Print Error" message?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

This seems strange because exporting and printing should be different things. Are you by any chance trying to PRINT TO PDF instead of exporting? If so, just don't!

• 2. Re: How can I export my book to Adobe PDF without it being aborted with a "Print Error" message?
            Gunidan Level 1

No, I was not trying to PRINT TO PDF. I was trying to export the book to PDF by following File > Export... and then selecting PDF for the output. That didn't work. However, I just realized that I can export the book by clicking the little down arrow at the top right conrner of the menu that shows all the documents of my book (I don't know what it is called). From there I selected 'Export Book to PDF...' and voila! It worked.

• 3. Re: How can I export my book to Adobe PDF without it being aborted with a "Print Error" message?
              Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mentioned: . . . and I am unable to see any missing fonts or images on the computer screen.

You cannot simply scan your document onscreen and assume that since you don't see any images or text missing that the file is ok.

These warning message need to be resolved to make sure your document will print correctly.

Images are linked when you place them, and if they somehow become unlinked, they will be reported as missing.

InDesign will still show a low resolution preview of missing images, but they will print in low resolution using only this preview rather than the higher resolution of a properly linked images.

To check your images go to the Links Manager. You need to relink any images with broken/missing links.

When fonts are reported as missing, that doesn't mean that text will actually disappear,

There will be some font substitution and the substituted font may not match your original font.

This may cause overset text and other issues related to the differences in fonts.

Check for and replace missing fonts using the Find Font dialog.This will show all fonts in your document and show any missing fonts.

Note that in addition to fonts of text in InDesign, it will also show missing fonts in any images that have live text layers.

If fonts are reported as being in graphics and missing, you will again have font substitution when you print. This image may appear ok on screen, but it won't print correctly.

• 4. Re: How can I export my book to Adobe PDF without it being aborted with a "Print Error" message?
                Gunidan Level 1

Thanks for the note. I have now been able to re-link missing files which were line works from Illustrator and so seamed almost perfect on the screen.