15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:29 AM by davewdk

Labels

davewdk

I have to make labels for around 3,000 names. On the label will be a logo and contact person on the top left, and then a mailing address in the centre. There are 3 sources for the file. Is there anything out there to simplify the process?

• 1. Re: Labels
          Derek Cross Level 6

Avery produce free software for their labels - this is the UK site: http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/Templates-%26-Software/Software

• 2. Re: Labels
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign's own Data Merge module can use only a single data source file, but you might be able to use one of the commercial catalog plugins.

• 3. Re: Labels
              MW Design Level 4

What is meant by 3 sources specifically?

• 4. Re: Labels
                davewdk Level 1

One source will be a graphic file, then an exel file and a .cvs file.

• 5. Re: Labels
                  davewdk Level 1

Would you have a name (or software company) for one of the plugins for me to check out?

• 6. Re: Labels

InCatalog or Easy Catalog are two popular plugins.

• 7. Re: Labels
                      davewdk Level 1

Thanks! I'll check it out. As a designer, I'm not used to doing data merges and tables etc. This should give me a huge headache! lol

• 8. Re: Labels

Data Merge is free, and it can probably handle what you are doing if it isn't complex, as long as you combine the three source files into one.

• 9. Re: Labels
                          davewdk Level 1

How would I combine the 3 files?

• 10. Re: Labels
                            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

davewdk wrote:

One source will be a graphic file, then an exel file and a .cvs file.

It's not really clear what you mean by this.

I'll assume you mistyped ".csv" (comma-separated value), and ask; isn't this just a copy of the Excel file in CSV format?

An by "a graphic file," do you mean a table that references a particular graphic for each recipient label, or is it one same graphic that will appear on all the labels?

• 11. Re: Labels
                              davewdk Level 1

Yes I misspelled .cvs  The graphic file would be company logos. And they would vary, not be the same for each label.

So, right now I have the graphic file, Excel file, and the main addresses in a .cvs file. The graphic file and Excel file are placed in the top left corner and addresses in the centre of label.

So that is a multiple date merge, and I need to find a script or plugin for it. Any help would be appreciated!

• 12. Re: Labels
                                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Okay, so just looking to get it all fully clarified...

The addresses are contained as records in the CSV file, right?

You say you have a "graphic file," but you really haven't explained what that is exactly, other than "company logos". So it's one file (what format?) containing various company logos...(?) InDesign's Data Merge function will facilitate the placing of logo graphics via (file path) references in the data source, but they must be individual graphics files.

What's in the Excel file? Whatever it is, is that also something that will vary among the labels, or is it the same on every label? Is there anything that will be the same on every label?

• 13. Re: Labels
                                  davewdk Level 1

Yes, the addresses are in a CSV file.

The graphic files would be individual jpg or eps files.

In the Excel file are names and phone numbers that go beside the logos. I will have to convert that file to CSV.

While I'm here writing, I just got this message when trying to import my CSV file:

1. The selected data source has one or more empty field names. Please fix the file or select another file   ?????????????????? (My Excel file was closed)
                                  • 14. Re: Labels

You can easily combine all of that data into a single source file (probably easiest to start as Excel, then save as either .csv or as tab-delimited .txt). You do that by copying the the existing data in the .csv file you have now and pasting into new columns in the excel file. Add another column for the paths to the images (or just the image names, if the images are all in one folder, and you can put your template .indd file in that same folder).

The help files for Data Merge are very good, so you should start by reading those.

• 15. Re: Labels
                                      davewdk Level 1

Thank you, I will.