4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 4:44 PM by NASCARonMDK

Car tracking graphic during race

namej78516391

How do I track an object so that part of a shape follows the object? What I mean by this is: I'm tracking a drone flying and I want a triangle to follow it, but only the point of the triangle to follow and the base of the triangle should remain still without growing or moving. I am trying to replicate a NASCAR tracking line. Any help?

Here is what I am trying to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y_ukGDv6hU

Head to 2:21:50 and I am trying to replicate the grey triangle following the car.

• 1. Re: PLEASE HELP ASAP. NASCAR Tracking Line!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm assuming you mean this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.08.39 PM.png

You'll need to learn about Motion tracking, the Beam Effect and basic expressions made with the pickwhip.

1. Open the footage you are going to use in the Footage Panel by double clicking it in the Project Panel
          2. Trim the footage to the portion you are going to use in the final shot by setting an in and out point using the CTI and Alt/Option + [ and Alt/Option + ]
          3. Select the trimmed footage in the Project Panel and choose File>New Comp from Selected
          4. Add a null to the timeline
          5. Open the Motion Tracking Workspace
          6. Select your video in the timeline
          7. Move the CTI to the frame where you want to start seeing the pointy gray thingie
          8. Select the video layer as the Motion Source in the Tracking Panel and choose Track Motion (This should open the Layer Panel - if it does not open it manually by double clicking the footage in the timeline)
          9. Move the Tracking area box (It's not point but detail tracking) to the car and adjust the size and search area enough of the car to get a good track (the default is way too small most of the time)
          10. Run the track for the length of time that you want to have the grey thingie point at the car
          11. Check the track to make sure it's good and make any corrections you need to make
          12. Select the Null as the Target in the Tracking Panel and press Apply
          13. Back in the timeline and the comp panel press the U key to reveal the Tracker 1 keyframes in the footage
          14. Move the CTI to the start of the timeline then press the k key to jump to the first Tracker 1 keyframe
          15. Add a new solid the size of the comp to the timeline and trim the In Point by pressing Alt/Option + [
          16. Apply Effects>Generate>Beam
          17. Set the Length to 100% and the Time to 50%
          18. Set the Start, End, Colors and Softness to get the look you want
          19. Add a graphic for the title block to the top and put the Anchor Point in the center of the graphic then trim the in point of the graphic
          20. Reveal the position property of the graphic by pressing the letter p
          21. Add an expression to the Starting Point of the Beam by dragging the pickwhip to the position property of the Graphic
          22. Add an expression to the Ending Point of the Beam by first typing "p = " then drag the pickwhip to the position property of the Null
          23. You can then split the array and subtract some pixels from the Y value to move the ending point up
          24. Trim the end points of the graphic and the beam layers by moving the CTI to the end of the pointer effect and press Alt/Option + ]

You'll get something that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 7.51.45 PM.png

The expression for the Beam End Position modified to raise the end point above the Null looks like this:

p = thisComp.layer("Null 1 Target").transform.position;

x = p[0];

y = p[1] -60;

[x, y]

There are lots of ways to do this effect but I think this is the easiest.

• 2. Re: PLEASE HELP ASAP. NASCAR Tracking Line!
            namej78516391 Level 1

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation.

I figured out how to do this in a very similar way with expressions and everything.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this out and screenshot everything. Hopefully this helps someone in the future as well.

Take care.

• 3. Re: PLEASE HELP ASAP. NASCAR Tracking Line!
              Mathias Moehl Adobe Community Professional

Alternatively, you can move individual points of a mask with a tracker using the (name your own price) script Tracker2Mask.

See this tutorial:

• 4. Re: PLEASE HELP ASAP. NASCAR Tracking Line!
                NASCARonMDK

Can you make a video on how to do this because it's confusing for me in text form.