5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 6:34 AM by Liz, Typekit Support

Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library

sinious Most Valuable Participant

Just a recommendation that fonts available on Adobe Typekit that are used in shared libraries have an easier route to essentially "instant activation".

I've had many vendors send me PSDs with libraries they've shared with me via Adobe Cloud and since that level of integration is already there, I thought Adobe Typekit would be a sort of automated system, like choosing if an embedded color profile should be used.

I realize there's a limit to the number of fonts I can have concurrently in use but it would be really handy if I didn't need to "check out" the font a file is using and hit the Typekit site to check out fonts and then re-map for a document later. If I have the number of available slots on my account to temporarily borrow the fonts so I can get my work done (e.g. not export them for use on the web, just temporarily view), it would be nice if Typekit enabled Adobe apps would realize what fonts I need and grab them if I allow it, as long as I don't have too many already exported for use.

When I close the document, I'd want Typekit to strike those fonts from my "usage" automatically. That would complete the magic.

This is just a convenience but I wonder how many others would like to see this type of temporary automation.

• 1. Re: Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library
          Liz, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on Typekit!  The first part of your request is available already: if you open a file in Photoshop CC that uses fonts from Typekit, the missing fonts window will include the option to sync those fonts. (You do need to be connected to the internet, and signed in to Creative Cloud for it to work.)

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 11.47.54 AM.png

These help pages have more information on the resolving missing fonts:

If you see a Missing Fonts message upon opening a file in one of your desktop applications, the file uses fonts that you…

and

Work with Typekit fonts in Photoshop

There aren't any plans to add an automatic "unsync the fonts" optoin when you close that file, but I will share the request with our team to see if it's something that could be support in the future.

I hope that this helps; let me know if you have any other questions or comments!  Best,

-- liz

• 2. Re: Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library

I'm just trying to be certain we're on the same page.

If I have not previously gone to Typekit and selected a font family to "use" and add to my profile (not web fonts, desktop), then I get errors for any Typekit fonts that are in use in the PSD. I get an error message that I need to resolve the fonts or just leave them as they are (uneditable).

However, if I do have that font family checked out for my profile and have Adobe Cloud running, I can open the PSD without any font resolution prompts. That works fine.

What I'm talking about is automated enabling and disabling of fonts in Typekit without me needing to go to the Typekit website, find the fonts, check them out (and all their variants, etc). As long as I have the number of fonts I wish to check out available in my limited account, it'd be great to just automate that portion.

Searching for potentially many fonts in a PSD/etc can be a very time consuming process on the Typekit site. I just seek to reduce that effort.

• 3. Re: Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library

Thanks for the reply, Jason!  Would you please send your Photoshop version number, as well, so we have that detail recorded?  You can find that under the Photoshop menu in "About Photoshop".

Best,

-- liz

• 4. Re: Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library

2015.1.2 Release, 20160113.r.355 x64 (Win7 latest).

Are you saying that these fonts should be auto-loading if I don't have them checked out in Typekit? Just to be clear again, if I have Adobe Cloud running (Adobe Typekit is on) and have the fonts in the document checked out on my own Adobe Typekit account, it works fine. I get no dialogs to remap fonts. What I was suggesting is it would be nice if the fonts were available on Typekit but I have not added them to my own account, if Typekit could "temporarily" auto-check them out for me, if I haven't exceeded the number of fonts I'm allowed to use. When I close the document, the checked out font total is reduced back to just what I have personally checked out.

If it's already supposed to work like this, I must have something broken.

• 5. Re: Consider automation of enabled/disabled fonts from the library

Hi Jason,

> Are you saying that these fonts should be auto-loading if I don't have them checked out in Typekit?

They won't sync by entirely themselves, but you should see the option to add them in the Photoshop missing fonts window.

In this screenshot, the PSD uses Soleto Black, which I don't have on my computer.  The missing fonts window shows I can sync Soleto Black from Typekit. 

Screen+Shot+2016-03-07+at+11.47.54+AM.png

If I select that option in the menu and click "Resolve Fonts", Soleto Black is synced to my computer and available in Photoshop within a minute.  All of this happens right from Photoshop; you don't have to go to the Typekit website to choose the fonts to sync.

What do you see in the missing fonts window when you open a PSD that uses fonts you don't have synced?  Would you post a screenshots?

Thanks,

-- liz