6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 2:22 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?

Angelik10 Level 1

I use LR 5 and its updates, and an I Mac desktop, 3T; External drives: Lacie 3T, Lacie 8T;

I recently moved over my huge 40.000+ library from Aperture into Lightroom, making all new masters for the LR on my I mac, which means i now have a double  photo library of master files which I do not need. ( i still have my Aperture catalogue and run it and eventually when all is well and safe, phase it out...)

Reading the forums etc on the subject, and following your advice, I copied my entire Lightroom Master files catalogue onto my external drive (laCie)  using the Mac Finder application (not LR) , ...( i did not move the files--i have now a double set of identical  LR master files on both drives. .

I now wish to connect LR to the masters on the external drive and work from them. Then if all works well, i plan to delete the LR masters on my internal hard drive ... and just use the internal drive for backups, which itself is backed up by time machine and another external drive.

I seem to be stomped in how to achieve this.

I created in LR  (under folders where it shows my Macintosh HD), another folder for the LaCie. So far so good. But I amstomped and do not know whetehr this is the correct procedure, or should i install another hard drive into LR?

How do i link or direct LR to  all my files and folders correctly to the new masters on the Lacie external drive? if i follow the steps indicated by some of your advisors a dialogue comes up and asks whether I want to merge catalogues... do i? and how do i do this for several hundreds of folders?  I simply wish to un-link the LR Master files on my internal hard drive on my Mac, and work from the Lacie external drive.

also...what about the other LR files on the hard drive? when I installed LR and started the importing process it made clearly 2 big folders, the "Lightroom"  and the "lighroom masters" folder. I only copied the lightroom master folder to the lacie. Do i need to copy the other folders containing ".lrdata  and .lrcat extensions as well onto the Lacie external drive? ?

Thank you in advance  for your help,

Angelis

• 1. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
          dj_paige Level 9

Follow the Instructions of PART 2 — "Updating Folder Location" of this document

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Your image files can be located anywhere: internal drive, external drive, network drive.

Your LR catalog (*.LrCat) can be located on any local drive, independent of the image files: internal drive, external drive.

The preview files and other support files are located in the *.LrData folders; these are located at the same place as your catalog, with a similar name as the catalog.

If your catalog is pointing to your internal drive for all your images, and you want to now point it to the images on the external drive,

in the LR Library module,

go to the Folders Panel on the left side,

expand the folders so they look like the view from Finder/Explorer (right-click show-parent),

right-click on the top-most folder, select "update folder location", navigate to the folder on the external drive,

LR will fix everything under that folder.

Your catalog and its support files do not need to be on the same drive as your images. LR does understand the concept of disconnected external drives.

Putting your catalog on the external drive is helpful if you want to use that catalog from multiple computers.

• 3. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
              Angelik10 Level 1

Thank you so much for your very good and speedy reply. I took a while to respond for i am running into a glitch:

But so far this has not yet worked well for me.

I m convinced you are showing me the right way...but here is the glitch for me:

when i look at your file structure as see on your post "Adobe Lightroom, find moved or missing files"  i see one of my issues IS the file structure and i have not yet figured out how to solve this. When i look up your post

i see under the Mac pro hard drive a folder structure like this:

My photolibrary>dng edited photos> then the folders with descriptive names like "Arizona and New Mexico, Grand Canyon, etc.

My files folder looks like this under the Macintosh  HD:

several hundreds of folders: like :Users/angelik/pictures/Lightroom masters.... >2003-12-09; 2003-12-14 etc.

So i would have to connect manually several hundred folders like this to make it work...

this is what i ended up with after my Aperture imports....( i tried applying your work route-- it does work, on a one by one basis.

BUT

would it then not be easier to create a large parent folder  in FINDER (mac)  containing all these other folders thus mimicking the structure of the Adobe Help tutorials mentioned above... ? I tried to do this by creating a parent folder in Finder called MY Lightroom masters.... but then all the folders were discomnected (showing the ? sign in the arrow left of each folder...  when i applied the method above for reconnecting folders .

On the second try, I first would get a message: "The selected folder or one of its subfolders already exists in Light Rpoom. Do you want to combine these folders?"with an option to "cancel" or "merge" when i hit merge it effectively merged both folders into the big one... it seems tedious to have to do this for some 300 folders like that... and can one folder contain easily 40.000+ files...for that is how that would end up.

Do you have better suggestions in how to proceed?

Again this is for connecting the above previous post instead of using the masters on the mac hard drive to use an exterior hard drive...

Thank you for your help and advice

Angelique

• 4. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
                dj_paige Level 9

Angelik10 wrote:

Thank you so much for your very good and speedy reply. I took a while to respond for i am running into a glitch:

But so far this has not yet worked well for me.

I m convinced you are showing me the right way...but here is the glitch for me:

when i look at your file structure as see on your post "Adobe Lightroom, find moved or missing files"  i see one of my issues IS the file structure and i have not yet figured out how to solve this. When i look up your post

i see under the Mac pro hard drive a folder structure like this:

My photolibrary>dng edited photos> then the folders with descriptive names like "Arizona and New Mexico, Grand Canyon, etc.

My files folder looks like this under the Macintosh  HD:

several hundreds of folders: like :Users/angelik/pictures/Lightroom masters.... >2003-12-09; 2003-12-14 etc.

So i would have to connect manually several hundred folders like this to make it work...

The example in the link shows clearly how you right-click on the top level parent folder and all child folders below it are also connected. You would right-click on "Lightroom Masters" and select Update Folder Location. See Figure 8 for an example (and the related text)

• 5. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
                  Angelik10 Level 1

my point was: i DO NOT HAVE a top level folder in LR as you describe ! It is just a long list of hundreds of folders, without any parent structure when i look into my LR folders.

a

• 6. Re: Lightroom: how do I connect to my LR masters photo library on an external drive ?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Right click on folder in Lightroom and select Show Parent