1 2 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 5:34 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

georgej51043936 Level 1

I have Lightroom 5.7.  Will this version be able to read the RAW files from the new Sony A6300?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi georgej,

As of now this Camera is not supported with Lightroom.

Please check the following article for the list of supported cameras in Lightroom,: Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
            MarkDS Level 1

I know that. When will it be, or should I just download the version of Phase One Capture One that Sony provides for opening these raw files?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A version of LR released after the camera was first for sale will be able to work with the raw files from the a6300.  As of now that’s likely to be LR 6.5/CC 2015.5.  LR 5.7 never will since it is close to a year and a half old, by now.

Whenever LR comes out that is compatible there will also be a corresponding DNG Converter, as of now, likely DNGC 9.5, that can be used to create DNGs from the camera’s raw files and those DNGs (not the native raw files) can be opened in older software.  As Tanuj says there is currently, as of March 12, no version of released Adobe software that works with the raw files of the a6300.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                MarkDS Level 1

That's the real question. There was a time when LR was AHEAD OF THE CURVE, issuing its ugrades either WITH or BEFORE new camera models hit the market. In fact one of Adobe's much touted advantages of the subscription model is that customers could have more frequent, timely upgrades than under the perpetual license model. It kind of rings hollow just now. One wonders why? Has Sony become less cooperative with Adobe for some reason? Phase One of course is snapping at Adobe's heals, and taking advantage of the situation: "Capture One Express 9 (for Sony) is a free imaging application for Sony cameras" (from the Phase One Sony page). I would prefer to maintain a completely integrated LR workflow, but if it's going to take a slug of time to provide us with this upgrade, may as well try Phase One - it's a good application.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

That Adobe used to release camera support before a camera was available is generally not true, although it's possible that occasionally they had access to a production version of the camera from the manufacturer but the manufacturer was having problems with their distribution or they wanted the release timed with a particular world-wide event so Adobe was able to have support prior to the camera being widely available, but Adobe hasn't ever provided official support using beta camera models.

Sony and PhaseOne coordinated the release of their camera and software compatibility.  Notice how Sony didn't even attempt to write their own software, this time, and used someone else's.  They could just as easily have created DNGs in camera and been supported from day 1 in Adobe software like my phone is.

You're looking for external reasons to feel good about your decision to buy a camera before it was supported in your favorite software.  The choice is ultimately up to you as to when you buy a camera.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                    droehni Level 1

Hello,

i am willing to buy an update of my older LR 5.7.1. Are you able to tell me, in wich time LR will Support my brand new A6300?

A day? A week? A month? When will be the next release of LR?

Greetings from germany, Heiko

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                      MarkDS Level 1

Please don't tell me what I need to feel good. The fact is that I have two weeks from my dealer to evaluate whether I should keep the a6300, as it is an upgrade from an a6000 - no slouch of a camera either. Hence it is simply a practical inconvenience not to be able to see the raw files in LR. To use the Phase One application I need to upgrade my computer from Mavericks to El Capitan - should probably do it regardless, but an added chore - and then learn how to use C1 (not that difficult really - I've had intros - it's good software, but again, more time and effort). If the Adobe engineers don't begin to prepare the profiles for new cameras before their commercial release it is understandable that they need some time to do this work and for Adobe to then prepare the new release including these upgrades plus whatever else. However, it still makes one wonder (a) why Sony and Adobe didn't arrange to co-produce the camera and the LR version in the same manner that Sony and Phase One did, and (b) how long it will be before we have A6300 support in LR. I should add that based on the A6000 experience and the reviews on the A 6300, it will probably be a fabulously popular camera model and many customers will be clamouring for LR support if it doesn't come soon. So the question of time till availability is not just a matter of feeling good; it's a practical concern. I hope an Adobe staffer is in a position to give us this answer.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

Adobe has partnered with Leica to have LR be Leica's official raw processor software.  Sony chose to use PhaseOne.  We aren't privy to the negotiations of either, unless it was something covered in the leaked e-mails from the Sony hack last year and someone has taken the time to review all of those.

Adobe does not answer the "when" question.  Those of us on the outside can offer predictions based on the last release date and typical release cycles but that's all the information that's available until the new version of LR is released, and those on the inside cannot disclose what target dates Adobe has for itself, internally, due to non-disclosure agreements.

The (a) and (b) questions are unanswerable to us who don't work for the respective companies.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                          MarkDS Level 1

I know - that's why I pointed the timing question to an Adobe staffer. If they have a corporate policy of not providing timing information, so be it. They have to be the best judge of how to relate to their customers and bear the consequences. I hear from very reliable sources outside Adobe that there is a growing amount of customer churning between raw converters these days. Competition is growing and some companies are finding out that forthcoming, confidence-building relationships with customers are useful. Anyhow, based on what you say, which I think is pretty much the state of play, I suppose we're dead-ended on this availability timing question for the time being.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You seem to feel that you are victimized because you purchased a newly released model of a camera. This happens frequently when a new popular model is released. Adobe has a timetable of sorts. We have come to expect Lightroom and Camera Raw updates approximately 4 times each year. If the timing is right then your new camera might be supported in the next release. If not, then it will be another three months approximately. That's as accurate of an answer that you will ever be able to get.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                              MarkDS Level 1

Why do some people feel it necessary to personalize issues by "psychoanalyzing" the discussants? I simply said I find it inconvenient for the reasons I explained, and that's it. I expect other people are and will be too. It's now clear that cameras and LR releases will be more or less synchronized depending on various circumstances, we won't be advised of timing, and those of us who still wish to stick with LR for all it's qualities will just have to accept that. I'm disengaging from this thread now - I think the timing question won't be answered unless Adobe staffers can talk, and responding to personal innuendo is a poor use of valuable time.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

The very first answer was from an Adobe staffer.  They did not tell you when.  They don't want to lose their job.  I've been on this forum for almost 10 years and Adobe doesn't answer the "when" question.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

I believe the original question was whether Lightroom 5.7 would be able to read files from this particular Sony camera. The answer to that question is a definite no. There will be no more updates for Lightroom 5.7. If someone wants to stay with that version it will be necessary for them to convert the raw files to DNG. But that won't be possible until the DNG converter is updated to support that particular model. The other question as to when that update will happen still remains without an answer. And it will remain that way until such time as Adobe releases the updates.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Heiko, greetings....

Lr6.5 will be the next release if the usual flow is followed and I see no reason why it wont be.

It is most likely the A6300 will be in that release and the timing is probable within the next month.

There is nothing new in how all of this works.

droehni wrote:

Hello,

i am willing to buy an update of my older LR 5.7.1. Are you able to tell me, in wich time LR will Support my brand new A6300?

A day? A week? A month? When will be the next release of LR?

Greetings from germany, Heiko

• 16. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

Those who know the timing cannot say due to NDA and US companies law regarding stock market disclosures, etc. 

This is a normal issue and we get the same discussions from Nikon, Canon, Samsung..... and every other manufacturer of cameras customers except those that use the open format of DNG like Leica and Pentax do.....

The complaint is with your camera manufacturer, go there.

• 17. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                        MarkDS Level 1

OK, understood. I thought it fair to update all concerned with this matter with what I discovered today to my regret. I updated to El Capitan in order to access the latest applications, key focus today being Phase One Capture One Express for Sony. This was motivated by their leaflet included in the camera package which reads as follows: <CONGRATULATIONS on your new Sony camera. We would like to offer you the opportunity to work with one of the best imaging solutions available, Capture One Express for Sony. It is a perfect productivity companion for your new Sony camera. And it is free for you to use.>

Sounds great doesn't it? And wouldn't you be led to believe it supports the new Sony camera in whose box this leaflet sits? Well, I was misled. "It ain't so". After installing the application and triggering the first import of Sony a6300 raw files, nothing happened. The file names were grayed out and the import didn't happen. So I visited the Phase One website and looked up the supported Sony cameras, and the A6300 is NOT on the supported camera list. So no cigar yet from either Phase One or Adobe. I could however see the image previews by opening the folder in Photo Mechanic 5. That will be it for raw files from this camera until C1 or LR offer A6300 camera support. Caveat Emptor.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                          Foothillson Level 1

I can see the images from the a6300 in Windows Pictures, but Lightroom doesn't recognize them yet. I hope Adobe gets off it's duff, this is going to be a very popular camera & LR/PS?Camera Raw users will be disappointed in their subscription if we have to wait a long time. I was planning on using the camera on a photo outing this week, but I may just have to leave it home since Adobe hasn't caught up yet.. I wonder if I can see the images in onOne..

• 19. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                            Foothillson Level 1

How about Lightroom CC/ PSCC, etc.. Coming soon ?? We can only hope.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Support for new cameras in LR and PS's ACR plug-in are usually one and a half Adobe releases after the camera hits the streets.

• 21. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

Foothillson wrote:

How about Lightroom CC/ PSCC, etc.. Coming soon ?? We can only hope.

Of course! However, nobody here can define soon.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

That’s interesting.  It also looks like the free Express for Sony version of C1 is like the Photoshop Elements of C1, so if you want all the features you have to pay for the regular C1.

• 23. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

ManiacJoe wrote:

Support for new cameras in LR and PS's ACR plug-in are usually one and a half Adobe releases after the camera hits the streets.

That is not correct at all.. usually cameras are in the next release unless too close to the release.

Tethering takes longer relying on SDK updates from camera manufacturers.

Of course the issue is caused by camera manufacturers who do not supply what is needed to Adobe prior to release and also have differing raw files each and every model of camera.

Now Leica and Pentax don't have these issues as they use the open format DNG......

• 24. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                      MarkDS Level 1

You are right about the expected popularity of the camera. It's predecessor the A6000 has been a huge success for Sony, and there is already a waiting list with dealers for the A6300. Not to take this discussion too far OT, but from what I can see already this is one fantastic camera; it can focus in the dark and the images it makes at ISO 51200, while not as clear as those at ISO 12500, are usable. But going back to this topic - we do hope for LR support in the nearest possible future. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes between Adobe and the camera manufacturers, and I suppose that is true for most if not all of us on the outside, but one would really hope for a level of cooperation between these companies that allows the most rapid feasible support - it is in both of their interests when you think about it. Adobe may not have the kind of commercial tie-up with Sony that Phase One has, but it provides tremendous leverage in the market. Raw files are as good as one's ability to demosaic them and LR remains by far the most popular and fully integrated way of processing raw files.

• 25. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                        MarkDS Level 1

Geoff, I'd like to explore this notion of the "next release" for a moment. When Adobe introduced the subscription model, one of the stated advantages was to be the great flexibility it would provide to issue updates at any time it seemed appropriate in terms of new features, bug fixes, new camera support etc. They claimed it would be a move away from the regularly timed release cycle that confined these updates to pre-fixed dates. I wonder, are we now back to fixed release dates, but more frequent? Or do they intend to pursue the pragmatic approach of releasing new features at the most appropriate time, which for new cameras would be as soon as possible when customers need the support?

• 26. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                          MarkDS Level 1

You're right. Actually there are two upgrades: A $50 upgrade gives you some added features within the C1 for Sony stream, while a $299 upgrade gives you the full-featured professional application. C1 is actually a fine piece of software, but it still doesn't have the kind of seamless integration we get with recourse to Photoshop when needed and in particular the truly remarkable Print pipeline we have within LR. For those of us waiting to get LR support for this camera, the main interest of C1 Express would be the demosaicing which is probably the same for any version, so we can really see what the camera is doing. The rest can wait (at least in my case).

• 27. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

I cannot speak for Adobe because I don't have any connection with the company other than the fact that I am a user like yourself and for some reason enjoy discussing Lightroom on the forum. But as far as new camera support is concerned, I think it would be impractical to try to release a new version every time a new camera model is released. New cameras are being introduced almost daily it seems. And it takes time for the Adobe engineers to create default settings and support for each camera. So, in my opinion, doing quarterly releases (approximately) seems to make a lot of sense. As far as new features in the program is concerned, they can be introduced at any time when Adobe feels that it is appropriate.

• 28. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                              MarkDS Level 1

Jim, yes, many new cameras are released quite often. That said, the team who produces the profiles are very smart people with years of experience and a well-oiled procedure to rely on. I'm not in their shoes of course so can't be certain, but I have an intuition that this is not really where a lot of time goes, unless they incur unusual technical problems or lack of cooperation. And I think the distinction between new camera support and new features is a bit overdrawn. I don't believe releasing a timely update if only with several new camera profiles is all that big a deal for the subscription model, now that the process is so well established. I am still hoping to see this support forthcoming in the near future - how near is "near", of course only Adobe and its hairdresser know.

• 29. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

You probably have a valid point. But the only time this really becomes an issue for anyone is when they purchase a newly released model that is not yet supported. Then they get frustrated because they want support now. I don't know what to tell you, or when/if the usual procedure for updates will be changed.

• 30. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

ManiacJoe wrote:

That is not correct at all.. usually cameras are in the next release unless too close to the release.

You seem to be agreeing with me while stating that I am wrong.

Most camera releases happen between the scheduled Adobe releases. The "half release" gets you to the next Adobe release that was "too close" to contain the camera update. The "whole release" after that then normally contains the update for the new camera.

While I would not bet my life on that schedule, it is the common track record for the last few years.

• 31. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                    MarkDS Level 1

Yes you're right, and I wouldn't expect you to have this information.

Anyhow - I did the unthinkable - went to the Sony website and downloaded their "Image Data Converter" application. No real substitute for LR, but at least allows the files to be demosaiced and viewed at various magnifications. It also has a bunch of other bread and butter image editing controls, and it will convert the raw files to TIFFs and export the resulting TIFFs to LR or PS. So for all the readers of this forum who have bought this camera and eagerly want to see their raw files, this is (perhaps the only) way to go until LR and C1 provide the updates with A6300 support. And BTW, this camera is a real keeper.

• 32. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                      droehni Level 1

What i do in the meantime is using EXIFTOOL to alter the Tags

Model=ILCE-6000 and also

SonyModelID=ILCE-6000

Works. Maybe not perfect, but works...

• 33. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

In the past, in a conversation with a senior Adobe Camera Raw Engineer, here on the forums, I asked why they can’t release camera profiles, and do it as soon as they’re ready with them, instead of waiting until a full 3-month software update cycle to occur, since profiles are separate files and not part of the underlying codebase.

The answer was that many times there are actually code changes in the application code to support new cameras, more than what’s in the profile files, themselves, and because there are code changes there does have to be a full software-update-cycle, not just a release of .dcp files whenever a new camera is supported.

• 34. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                          MarkDS Level 1

OK thanks, that is enlightening. Still and again, I would hope that even taking this into account, rigid adherence to a timed update cycle isn't the key delaying factor.

• 35. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

Two months (half of the average schedule) is not the same as two weeks (1/16th of a cycle) or even one week....  that was my point.

However I haven't studied the average closeness of camera releases to ACR releases to really state facts...

This discussion has been around since ACR and camera releases have been ....... nothing changes

ManiacJoe wrote:

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

ManiacJoe wrote:

You seem to be agreeing with me while stating that I am wrong.

• 36. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?

Ok, you would want to wait 18 months for new features in this fast moving world??

BTW ACR adding more cameras isn't adding a new feature..... it is just updating profiles.....

Perhaps Sony could have just given you a new sensor module for your old camera as a free upgrade??

This is really funny .... try looking back when Canon or Nikon release new models ... same questions and answers.

there is nothing special about Sony cameras and releases.

Maybe just get a Leica and never have this issue again - I understand Leica's are keepers too....

• 37. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Reading the posts here, I suspected that my subjective impressions about the frequency of Lightroom's release cycles and how quickly new camera models got supported might be wrong. So being the nerd that I am, I wasted a few hours and collected actual data: Timing of Lightroom releases.

In LR 5 and 6, only about 3/4 of new Sony models appeared in the first LR release after the models' official announcement. So based solely on this past behavior, there's about a 25% chance that the Sony a6300 won't appear in LR 6.5.  On the other hand, that camera was announced early in the release cycle on 2/3/16, just a week after LR 6.4 was released on 1/27, giving plenty of time for it to be included in 6.5.  On the other other hand, LR 6's minor releases have occurred much more frequently than in prior versions, on average every 56 days compared to 93 days for LR 5 and earlier.

• 38. Re: Lightroom 5.7 & Sony A6300?
                                                                                  MarkDS Level 1

Today Adobe released an update providing support for new cameras including the Sony A6300. Imported my test images and all looks normal. Kudos to Adobe staff considering the camera hit the market less than a week ago.

As for your comments in reply 36, I fail to see how any of them contribute usefully or constructively to the key points under discussion. That aside, it has been largely a useful discussion clarifying the kinds of factors at play between camera releases and software updates. Thanks for the insights.

1 2 Previous Next