6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 3:22 PM by m_vargas

unable to update or download Flash Player

ttr78

Hello,

I am using Firefox (latest version 44.0.2 with Flash Player NPAPI 20.0.0.267 installed previously), my OS is Windows XP SP3.  For about 1 month I receive a message urging to update Flash Player, no online video  can be displayed. Clicking on the message leads to https://getadobe.com/fr/flashplayer but then the process freezes on page 1 of 3. The yellow "Download" icon appears a few seconds, then disappears.

I also tried to go to the ..../otherversions/ page in order to download a standalone package, but this page also freezes after entering OS and Browser. Here no Download icon ever appears.

I tried the same on 3 computers (also Windows XP) with same results.

Where is the problem ?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi,

I'm not sure what's happening there and why the Download button won't remain on the page.  I'll forward this to the team that handles the online installer.

In the meantime, you can download the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section.

--

Maria

• 2. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
            ttr78 Level 1

Update: immediately after sending the above post (and therefore being logged with my AdobeID), the yellow "Download" icon appears on the .../otherversions/ page !  I can now download the standalone package.

1. Does this mean that one must be logged to download this package ? The first time I did it, a few months ago, I was not logged at all. In fact I never used my AdobeID, which I created after buying and installing Photoshop Elements.

2. This doesn't explain why the ordinary update of Flash Player, by clicking on the browser warning, did not work.

• 3. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
              m_vargas Adobe Employee

hi,

No, there is no requirement to be logged with the AdobeID to download Flash Player from either get.adobe.com/flashplayer or get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions. 

Can you log out of the Adobe site and then go to the download page and try again?

--

Maria

• 4. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
                m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi,

Another question...do you happen to use ad-blocking software?  If so, which one?  Normally ad-blockers do not block the Download button, but the team that handles the download page is asking.  Also, if you do have ad-blocker, please try the following:

1. Ensure you are not logged in using your AdobeID account.
                2. Disable the ad-blocker
                3. go to get.adobe.com/flashplayer
                4. Does the Download button display?

Thank you.

--

Maria

• 5. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
                  ttr78 Level 1

Hello,

please excuse my long silence, as I was traveling.

I don't have any Ad Blocker.

I tested again the update process on another PC (where the AdobeID was never entered) and here are my findings (all messages are translated from french, the english version may differ slightly):

- Starting with an obsolete version of Flash Player, when I open the //get.adobe.com/fr/flashplayer URL, the yellow Download button appears very briefly, then I get the following message at top of the tab : "Firefox prevented execution of the obsolete Adobe Flash plugin on https://get.adobe.com", along with 2 buttons "Continue locking" and "Allow...". There is also another message "Update now.." which is useless, as it leads again to the same URL.

-If I click "Allow..." and wait for not less than 1 minute, then a new yellow button "Install now" displays (differs in size from the previous one). This new button is stable, and clicking it allows to go to step 2 of the update process.

In fact the 1-minute delay is deceptive, letting me believe the process hanged up.

This may have occurred last time, letting me falsely believe that entering an AdobeID unlocked the process.

Anyway, I am able now to update Flash Player, although not straightforward. Hope the observations may help.

Many thanks for your attention.

• 6. Re: unable to update or download Flash Player
                    m_vargas Adobe Employee

Thank you  I'll forward this new information to the team that handles the download page.

--

Maria