5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 11:55 AM by ECBowen

AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?

patshiPJZ Level 1

Hey Adobe!

I'am building a new Win 7 / Win 10 workstation and wondering what the Adobe developers are recommending for 4K editing.

My choice would be:

• AMD FirePro W8100
      • NVidia Quadro 4000

Or do the consumer variants have even better performance, or better support in terms of stability?

• AMD R9 390X
      • NVidia 980 (Ti)

I'm pretty sure the consumer products are not bad at all, maybe even have better performance than the workstation products - is that so?

The advantage seems to be the drivers of the pro variants because of real 10-bit support and some have SDI out.

I currently have a GTX 780 Ti with 3GB VRAM and I'm maxed out on VRAM when I play Canon C300 Mark II footage, especially when grading in Speedgrade.

And by the way, is it normal that my RAM is also maxed out, when playing back 4K footage in Premiere on my current 32GB RAM workstation?

So my question is mainly about the GPU - what does Premiere CC prefer in terms of PLAYBACK performance for 4K? CUDA or OpenCL? NVidia or AMD?

Thanks for any advice!

Greets,

Patrick.

• 1. Re: AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Neither of those two "workstation" GPUs is particularly good for Premiere. In fact, the Quadro 4000 is now seriously outdated (having been in existence since 2010, and is essentially a high-end Fermi GPU that's been crippled to the effective performance level of a lowly GeForce GTX 460 SE), and may not be properly supported in the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2015. And OpenCL GPU acceleration performance in Premiere just isn't as mature or as fast as CUDA performance right now: OpenCL GPU acceleration performance in Premiere's MPE is currently still nearly twice as slow as a CUDA-enabled NVidia card which has otherwise equal specs as the given AMD card.

By the way, did you mean the Quadro K4000 or Quadro M4000? The K4000 is also a waste of money for Premiere because it is a tad slower than a GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost (after all, the K4000 is essentially a GTX 650 Ti Boost with slower VRAM and the GPU Boost feature disabled). The M4000 is no faster than a GeForce GTX 970 despite the high amount of RAM.

• 2. Re: AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?
            patshiPJZ Level 1

Actually I'm opting for AMD W8100, as it seems to have good performance compared to recent consumer gfx-cards. Because I want the 10-bit output, there does not seem to exists a lot of alternatives.

Have you actually tested or personally seen performance of a W8100 (I agree that a NVidia K4000 is not a good choice).

Greets,

Patrick.

• 3. Re: AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would not suggest the  AMD card for GPU acceleration since Open CL in Adobe does not perform as well as Cuda and is far less stable. I would highly suggest the 980Ti card which would outperform the others with GPU acceleration especially with 4K+ media.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?
                patshiPJZ Level 1

That could be, but a 980Ti does not have a 10-bit output. I have a 780Ti myself which is nice and fast, but I want professional 10-bit output. So this is not really the answer to my question

Greets,

Patrick.

• 5. Re: AMD FirePro W8100 or NVidia Quadro 4000 or the consumer R9 & GTX980 siblings? What does Adobe say?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You would be better served to get an I/O card such as a Blackmagic or Aja card for 10bit color preview in Adobe. The Quadro and Fire GL cards sacrifice considerable GPU acceleration performance at 4K+ for the 10bit color preview. Then on top of that the Quadro cards output still has to be significantly calibrated because the OS and video driver effect the color space output from the application where as the I/O cards give you a raw output from the application for color space ignoring the OS or video driver settings. So calibration is far easier and more accurate by default. The 980Ti card is better for 4K work with the 6GB of vram and the HDMi 2.0 output. The 780 Ti performance just as well for the most part with GPU acceleration but the 980Ti gives better output options for 4K displays. Just depends on what you need and the apps used. The 980Ti card is also cooler as in less heat which means it will throttle less especially with renders and adding other PCI-E cards. BTW the Geforce cards including the 980Ti does have 10bit color output via HDMi and Displayport but the drivers only support it with Direct X and not Open GL. Adobe uses Open GL for their API which is why you require a Quadro card for 10bit color with Adobe and the video card. It's simply driver related and not hardware.

Eric

ADK