5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 4:00 PM by Videodoc

A frustrating problem!

Videodoc

Hi!  It seems my "unlink audio from video" feature has disappeared.  When I right click on a clip (audio or video) I get the full menu, EXCEPT the unlink feature. 

Trying to edit has been a nightmare.  The Elements system seems to pick up audio and move it around,, by itself.  Sometimes I get double narration which is garbled, sometimes the

same audio phrase repeats itself!  If I make a video clip adjustment, gaps open in the audio track!  I always (and I double check this) make sure that I have deleted audio from a video clip.

Will the "unlink" feature prevent these problems?  If so, where is it? It's gone from where it's supposed to be.  How do I turn it back on?

Here's my editing process.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

1-Record narration and place it in the audio track below the video track I'm using.  Video is not yet on the track.

2-Drag and drop video to match narration.

3-Add transitions (dissolves).

4-Place music in audio track.

5-Adjust music with key frames. 

I've worked for so long on this piece that I get headaches even thinking about starting it over!

Would appreciate anyone's feedback.  Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: A frustrating problem!
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Videodoc wrote:

It seems my "unlink audio from video" feature has disappeared.  When I right click on a clip (audio or video) I get the full menu, EXCEPT the unlink feature. 

Are you sure that you don't have multiple clips selected?

• 2. Re: A frustrating problem!
            Videodoc Level 1

I haven't noticed that I have.  However, what difference would that make?

The software couldn't handle that?

• 3. Re: A frustrating problem!
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Videodoc wrote:

However, what difference would that make?

You"re right.  It wouldn't make a difference.

I must be thinking of an older version of Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: A frustrating problem!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you're talking about version 14, the Unlike Audio and Video option is certainly there whenever you select and right-click on a video clip that also includes audio. It's right below Enable, Group and Ungroup.

I don't know that unlinking audio and video would prevent the problems you're having. I don't know how separating the audio and video on a clip would have any effect on the things you're doing in the editor.

• 5. Re: A frustrating problem!
                  Videodoc Level 1

Steve, key words from you:  "video clip that includes audio."  And it does

appear.

You see, when I add clips to my timeline, I always delete audio (because I

rarely use the natural sound caught by my camera.)  That's why it wasn't

showing up.

I've started this edit from scratch again, for about the 15th time.  I'm

more careful about capturing clips now.  I go into a clip at least 5 frames

so that it doesn't pick up frames from the previous clip.  And the same for

the end; I back off the out point by at least 5 frames.  That was

previously a problem. I'm learning, thanks to help from folks like you.

Thank you again!

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>