3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 4:31 AM by Willi Adelberger

'story has an invalid frame' - "Do you want to delete?"

ginat2454807

I'm attempting to open and existing document where a lot of text was copy/pasted from WORD docs which were converted to PAGES on my iMAC. I opened several time up until exporting to (low res) PDF when I sent for proofing. Today I attempted to open to make changes and I get the error noted above. The file will not open to save as, or export. I've changed the name, put on the desktop, made copies, gone through the reboot and deleting preferences in INDD and it still is not opening.

It's 12 pages of full-on design, and now I cannot open it....

Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: 'story has an invalid frame' - "Do you want to delete?"
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should clearify what you are doing, step by step. Your description is very confusing.

1. I don't understand how Apple Pages come into play?
          2. What did you want to open?
          3. What OS version are you using?
          4. What InDesign version are you using?
          5. Where from do you want to save as or export? What?
          • 2. Re: 'story has an invalid frame' - "Do you want to delete?"
            ginat2454807 Level 1

Thanks for writing.

OS X Yosemite

To clarify. I am attempting to open and INDD CC file that is fully designed to make changes but will not open, instead it tells me 'story has an invalid frame' and asks if I want to delete it to continue; I have chosen YES, and tried NO, and neither will let the document open.

The original content (text) came from my client as a WORD doc. I don't have WORD, I have PAGES so the document was converted when opened. From that document I copied and then pasted into the INDD file.
            I don't know if this was a problem to the INDD document or not but since its a 'story' error... I think it might have been.

Other forums have suggested that I:
            Make copies of the file, change the name, restore preferences in INDD then attempt to open the document again.
            Run Disk Utility.

Did both of these to no avail.

Their other suggestions are to 'open the document' and try any number of things... but obviously I cannot do that, and no other program will read an INDD file ( OR IS THERE?? )

• 3. Re: 'story has an invalid frame' - "Do you want to delete?"
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Leave Apple Virus, äh, Apple Page out of the game.

If you don't have MS Word, place it directly in InDesign, not intermediate state is needed.