9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 7:02 AM by trshaner

Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10

leonardo0743 Level 1

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and folders have started to disappear from the LR5.7 catalog in large quantities.  When I tried to re-import one of the folders, LR added the photos as if they had never been imported..  All the edit data is also gone.  None of the folders have been moved in Windows or LR. Has anyone seen this situation before with LR5 & Win 10?

• 1. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
          dj_paige Level 9

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and folders have started to disappear from the LR5.7 catalog in large quantities.

Please explain in more detail. What exactly do you see (or not see)?

Are you sure you haven't (accidentally) opened the wrong catalog? What happens if you go to File->Open Recent and then select each catalog shown there, do you find the photos in those "missing" folders?

• 2. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
            leonardo0743 Level 1

I am positive I have not opened the wrong catalog. 

I did a clean install of windows 10 and a couple of weeks later reinstalled LR 5.7.1.  During the installation process LR created a new catalog in the pictures folder on the my F: drive. That catalog has never been used and I verified that it is still empty. There was an existing LR 5 catalog in the my pictures folder on my E: drive and that is where the LR catalog has been stored since LR2.  They are the only 2 catalogs that LR has access to.

The problem I am having is that 17 consecutive folders (April - September) with 7,000 + files are missing from my 2015 Folder in LR since I reinstalled LR5.  They are not there with question marks they appear to be completely gone from the catalog.  They all show in the File Explorer window in the 2015 folder along with all the other folders (Jan - Mar) that do show in LR.  If I initiate import and select one of the missing folders LR wants to add it to the catalog as if it were never there.  Most of the folders have subfolders with jpg files that were created in LR5.  It is rather confusing and frustrating to me.

I certainly hope you can help.  The prospect of re-editing 7000+ files is quite daunting to me.

• 3. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When you did the clean install of Win 10, you first saved your LR catalog then restored it after the install, right?

• 4. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                leonardo0743 Level 1

You are partially correct, I did save the catalog before the clean install.  The clean install was done on a brand new C: drive SSD.  The Lightroom catalog is on a completely different internal drive which was disconnected at the time of the install to prevent windows from writing to it during install.  After the windows install I reconnected the E: drive which contains the LR catalog.  After reinstalling LR I simply opened the catalog from the File > Open Catalog and navigating to the catalog folder.

• 5. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the images are in the same location they were before, and you are using the same catalog, then you should be able to see all of the images. If images are missing then it seems they have been moved.

• 6. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                    leonardo0743 Level 1

Ordinarily I would tend to agree with you.  If the folders were moved or deleted outside of LR the folder icons would still be there because LR would not be aware that the folders were moved or deleted.  The Icons would have a "?" indicating that they were not where LR expected them to be. The name of the folder that houses the shoot folders is 2015.  It contains subfolders representing all my shoots for the year 2015.  In Win File Explorer There are 43 subfolders in the 2015 folder.  In the LR Library module the folder 2015 contains the 21 folders with dates through 3/23/2015.  The other 22 folders are not visible in LR.  Many of the folders that are not visible in LR contain subfolders with jpg files generated by LR.  All The folders were all there before the win 10 install.

• 7. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you are opening an older LR Catalog, perhaps a  catalog backup file. This would explain folders "leaking" as you work in LR since they never were in the older catalog. Does that make sense?

Use Windows File Explorer to search the drive for .lrcat and see if you can find a newer catalog file.

• 8. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                        leonardo0743 Level 1

Much to my embarrassment I think you are right.  The key to determining the problem was searching for .lrcat  files on the entire LR drive rather than just the pictures folder as I was doing earlier.  When I sorted the search results by size I discovered a huge reduction in size between 2 catalog backups. The larger file was just before the install of Win 10 and the smaller one was the first LR backup after the install.  In reviewing the search results and finding the file closest to the smaller file size I discovered it was backed up on the same day as the first missing folder's creation date.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

• 9. Re: Folders leaking from LR5 catalog in Win 10
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't be embarrassed...we've all been there and done something similar. Glad you got it resolved!