3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 6:51 AM by ssprengel

Tethering with Nikon Camera and Lightroom 6 on Win 10 not working

LightRoomy

A while ago I bought Lightroom 5.7 and updated some months ago to Lightroom 6 offline version (in the meantime 6.4).

My Camera is a Nikon D750.

I have two different machines I am working with.

For clear reasons of mobility, I have a Notebook, currently with Win 8.1 installed. Tethering is working perfectly. My Camera is found and I use it without any issues.

For clear reasons of performance, I have a faster Desktop machine, running Windows 10. When importing pictures from my Camera via either card reader or direct USB connection, everything works fine. However, when wanting to directly get the pictures into Lightroom via tethering, it does not finde my camera at all. This is rather frustrating.

I have already downloaded the trial version of Capture One 9 pro to test if my system can use the tether function with the camera. With Capture One, all works perfectly well. Further I have hoped that Capture One might install a driver with which also Lightroom can use the camera, but it does not.

I have searched the internet and also this forum. Many people seem to have this problem, but a solution was nowhere to be found. So this is my attempt. Does anyone have any advice on how to get Lightroom working? As I have all of my fotos in it now, I do not want to switch to another software, as I would then need to do many things a second time.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Tethering with Nikon Camera and Lightroom 6 on Win 10 not working
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is anything different about the USB connections on the Desktop compared to the Notebook:  Different speed USB2vs3, different things plugged-in other ports, one using a USB-hub one not, different cables, different cameras?  If everything else is the same, then I’d expect something is off with the USB drivers on the Desktop.

The Camera-connection component in LR is written by Nikon.  The one in C1 is written by C1’s authors so may act different.

• 2. Re: Tethering with Nikon Camera and Lightroom 6 on Win 10 not working
            LightRoomy Level 1

There are not many things different between connecting the camera to the notebook and connecting it to the desktop.

- same camera

- same cable

But, one important point you have mentioned the made me remember. I have also tested 'NIKON Camer Control Pro 2'. It, same as Lightroom, does not find my camera. I really wonder how the manufacturer's own software does not work while a 3rd party solution does. Kind of emberrasing, at least it appears to me so.

So far I have tried to update every possible driver of my system. Everything seems to be up-to-date.

Is there a piece of S/W, that has no malicious background, that scans a systems and recommends the best driver for the different components? To verify that I have not overlooked something.

• 3. Re: Tethering with Nikon Camera and Lightroom 6 on Win 10 not working
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only time I've ever messed up my USB drivers, on my older computer, was when I installed a driver-updater program, so I cannot recommend such a thing.