7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 8:11 AM by Hal P Anderson

LR imports only first 5 photos

wolfgangl40354854

Hi!

I try to import my photos from my Canon EOS1000D but LR import only the first 5 pictures and then says it couldnt read the others. Then i have to close LR and reconnect my camera. Then i can import again only 5 photos.

• 1. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
          dj_paige Level 9

If the message says something like "Lightroom could not complete the operation because the photos could not be read" then this is a permissions problem.

However the fact that you can successfully import 5 photos seems to indicate it is a different problem.

So we need you to quote the EXACT unedited complete word-for-word error message.

• 2. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
            wolfgangl40354854 Level 1

Thats the message in german.

Unbenannt.png

Translated it means something like "Some FIles couldnt be imported, because they couldnt be read. (24)"

• 3. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
              dj_paige Level 9

This is a permissions problem.

You need to determine the destination folder (it's on the right hand side of the Lightroom Import dialog box under the word Destination), then go into your operating system and make sure that this folder has WRITE permission.

• 4. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
                Hal P Anderson Level 6

Or possibly, you're out of space on the receiving volume.

Hal

• 5. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
                  wolfgangl40354854 Level 1

Sure i got write permission otherwise it couldnt import nothing. 187GB Free Space.

Importing with Picasa or directly from the SD-Card works fine in the same directory. So it must have to do something with LR i guess.

Edit: by the way i have installed the latest version of LR 6.4

Edit, Edit:

Now i located the problem. It Seems there was a problem with the USB cable or Port. I used a different cable and Port and now the import worked fine.

Thanks

• 6. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It could be the camera is being disconnected during the import. If you are on a Mac this is a known problem. Mac likes to shut down USB ports randomly to save power. If you are on a Windows PC check the Advanced Power options and don't allow the shut down (not sure of the exact wording) of USB ports.

It could also be the cameras going into some type of sleep (low power) state during the import. If after you take the card out of the camera and use a card reader and LR imports all the images correctly then it isn't a LR problem.

It could also be the USB port on the camera or the actual cable you are using that is causing the drop in connection between camera and computer.

I personally don't think it is a permissions problem. If it was no images would import.

LR needs better wording for the times it can't Write to the Destination folder. At present it uses that same error message for the times it can't write to the selected Destination drive/folder. When in fact it can READ the image files fine.

• 7. Re: LR imports only first 5 photos
                      Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yep. That message almost always means that the images can't be written, and that messes us up when it really means what it says. As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Hal