6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 3:13 AM by howmanypigginnamesdoitry

How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

howmanypigginnamesdoitry Level 1

I have the original 5D as well as the 5DSr. I'm trying to tether them both but while the 5DSr is no problem, LR 6.3 isn't recognising the 5D. It's the first time LR hasn't recognised it for 10 years. I sincerely hope they haven't pulled support for it but I don't know. Does anyone know what I can do to tether my 5D or at least to import from it into Lightroom?

• 1. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?
          Rikk-Flohr Adobe Community Professional

Tethered support for the 5D ended in LR 4.2 See: A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom.

In order to tether with a 5D in Lightroom you must:

1. Be using a 32 bit operating system (no driver exists for Canon 5D in 64 Bit OS)

2. Using a version of Lightroom older than 4.2

• 2. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

I've imported from my 5D on Windows 7 64 bit in the past. It's only since I moved to LR 6 that I've not been able to import.
            saying that Windows 7 64 bit does support 32 bit programs. So I assume up to LR 5.7 was 32 or 64 bit and 6.3 is 64 bit only?

• 3. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

Canon/Microsoft do not make a 64 bit driver for the Canon 5D.  It will not be recognized on a 64 Bit version of any Microsoft OS.

Lightroom 6/CC are only available in 64 bit versions: Update on OS Support for Next Version of Lightroom

In any case, Canon 5D Support for tethering in Lightroom ended in version 4.1 as per the previous link.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

As I said, Windows 7 64 bit supports 32 bit programs, so my 5D worked when Lightroom 5.3 was 32 bit too. However thanks for your time.
                And thanks for nothing Adobe.

• 5. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

It is not Adobe's fault. Canon chose not to make available a 64 Bit driver. Microsoft chose not to support the 32 Bit driver in their 64 bit OS.  Adobe is at their mercy.  Additionally, once a manufacturer drops support for their own camera in their own SDK, there isn't much that a 3rd party like Adobe can do without investing a pile of programing hours into a camera that is nearly 4 iterations old.

If it worked for you in 5.3/32 bit you should consider yourself fortunate. Most people lost tethering on the 5D in version 4.2 regardless of OS.

• 6. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.3 to recognise my Canon 5D?

If I install the old version of Canon's Utilities the 5D IS supported on Windows 7 64 bit OS and Lightroom also supports it. There is a specific folder on Windows 7 64 bit where 32 bit programs reside and run. I don't know how they do, is it like a 32 bit sandbox? I suppose if I was willing to run LR v5.7 alongside LRv6.3 and also run the 2 iterations of Canon's utilities I could still have support for my 5D in that way.
                    I found a way around this anyway. I formatted a card in the 5DSr, then put it into the 5D, then when it was full I loaded it into a card reader and imported the images into Lightroom. I really can't see how or why that would work but it does, so job's a good un

I think that 'thanks for nothing' was a mild grumble not really necessarily about this, but about the bugs yet again in LR. Version 4 was absolutely awful for some time, LR 5 was not as bad but it took about 6 months before it settled down and got patched. Now I've had to go to v6 because of the 5DSr, and I find the constant crashing and freezing for no apparent reason quite frustrating, Certainly not as many bugs as 4 or 5 so that's a major step forward, It's probably the most stable version I've ever used although I do have the patch to 6.3 installed.
                    Yes I know it's a big programme...millions of lines of code...installed on so many different types of computers....call me autistic I just think it should work, and if there is a problem that sneaked past testing it should be dealt with in the first patch.

That said at the moment it still remains my first processing programme of choice although the more I look at Bridge, ACR and Photoshop the more I realise that the Holy Trinity might be the way forward for me anyway.
                    Perhaps that's not a discussion for this forum I'm starting to ramble lol.