4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 7:02 AM by w1lldav

Footage and still images appear cropped and larger after exporting movie from premiere elements?

w1lldav

My short movie includes stills and HD video. I have used the crop function and edge feather effect on the stills and some video clips. It all looks fine on the timeline but once exported nearly everything on the timeline appears cropped mssively more than the timeline with some images cut in half. They also appear larger. Any answers? I've never had this issue before.

• 1. Re: Footage and still images appear cropped and larger after exporting movie from premiere elements?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Have you optimized your photo sizes to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels (at 72 ppi)?

On the Project Settings, under the Edit menu, what is listed on the General page?

What version of the program are you using on what operating system?

• 2. Re: Footage and still images appear cropped and larger after exporting movie from premiere elements?
            w1lldav Level 1

Hi

I am using a basic Sony HDR-CX240E, but i have also imported clips of old cine-film, but all are mpg files. I also have jpg's on the timeline.

I have not optimized any photos etc and to be honest wouldn't know how to? I a basic user of adobe premiere and only use it for making family movies etc. I have used this version successfully where i used the same video camera and mixed in jpeg stills and there was not an issue when exporting.

The general page on the project settings states the pixel aspect ratio as 'D1/DV PAL (1.0940)'.....

I am using a macbook air on the operating system OS X Yosemite - version 10.10.5 and adobe premiere elements 13.1.

I started a new project and imported the same jpeg's and mpeg's which have exported fine! I'm wondering if it is something to do with any effects, like the crop tool or feather edge i used but i removed all effects and it was still exporting incorrectly. I don't want to have to start again but still have 2 weeks until my Grandad's birthday so may have consider this.

This is how it appears on my time line.....

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 13.19.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 13.43.44.png

And this is how it appears after export......

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 13.41.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 13.42.35.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Footage and still images appear cropped and larger after exporting movie from premiere elements?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've got a number of problems here, willdav.

For one thing, you say your video is coming from an AVCHD camcorder -- yet your project is set up for standard definition DV. Did you use Premiere Elements to get the video from your camcorder to your computer? Was your camcorder set up to shoot full HD 1920x1080 AVCHD? Is one of those video the first clip on your timeline? The program uses the first clip on your timeline to set the project settings -- which should be 1920x1080, not DV.

I don't know what Cine-Film is, but you'll also need to crack open a sample of this video so we can see what it's made of. (MPEG is not nearly specific enough.) Open one of the Cine-Film clips in Media Info (a free download) and post to this forum the resolution, frame rate, audio and video codecs and video writer that it displays.

And you will need to optimize your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size (at 72 ppi). You can do this by opening each photo in Photoshop Elements and going to Image/Image Resize. There is also a batch resizer called Process Multiple Files under the Photoshop Elements File menu. For what it's worth, I give detailed explanations of how to use these tools in my "Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 14", available on Amazon.

Optmizing your video, photos and project settings will go a LONG way toward resolving your issues and ensuring smoother, less buggy performance.

• 4. Re: Footage and still images appear cropped and larger after exporting movie from premiere elements?
                w1lldav Level 1

Wow......ok. This all of a sudden sounds like a lot of effort for a simple family video lol. Like i said i am a basic user. How do you know my video is setup for standard definition?

The camcorder i use saves the files to a memory card, which I downloaded onto my macbook before importing them from my hard drive.

The clips shot from my camcorder were filmed in HD which was supposed to be the start of video so therefore would be at the start of my timeline.....leading into old footage of my Grandad when he was a child which has been converted from old cine-film into mpeg clips, so i agree these would be from a different source.

I have obviously be naive enough to think that an editing software would simply optimize footage itself etc. I honestly didn't realise i would have to do this and i wouldn't know where to start if I'm honest.

I haven't got photoshop elements i'm afraid to re-size my stills. 

I may have to look at producing this video a little differently i think. I appreciate your help but honestly think this sounds more difficult for a basic user like myself to accomplish.