7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 3:21 PM by EJ Printer

Dehaze turns NEF files magenta

EJ Printer

Interested to see if other users are running across this issue. In using the De haze feature, processed NEF files from a Nikon D800E will go magenta starting out in the highlights. Feature or known bug?

• 1. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you upload one of your problem files to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link to it, here?

• 2. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you have the "clipped highlights" indicator turned on. See the arrow in the upper right corner of the histogram.

• 3. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta
              EJ Printer Level 1

NO, this happens as magenta and is NOT the highlight indicator. Magenta has long been as issue I've seen in rendering with Lightroom and NEF file, thumbs, etc. This was troubling after a processed file would clearly show it. SSpengel. I'll post one to you when I get back. Out the door to a gathering.

• 4. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta

I have been unable to find any sample D810 or D810A NEF files online that have clipped highlights and none of the examples I've found, some with almost clipped highlights, have any magenta when setting Dehaze to 100.  Can we see something from you that can be used to reproduce the issue for Adobe? 

There have been issues with diminished highlights becoming magenta instead of gray using the Highlights slider in a couple cameras over the last few years that turned out to be bad numbers in the camera profiles that Adobe subsequently corrected; however they have wanted example files to test with in the past, and it would also let people make sure there's no some other explanation, as Dehaze does tend to strengthen colors significantly.

• 5. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta
                  EJ Printer Level 1

Well sure enough, after I asked the question none of the earlier images were showing that problem. I can however, assure you that it was happening. I have however noted that the system that was experiencing the color shift was also crashing when ever a video file was loaded. That too has stopped being an issue.

I have relocated from TX to VT now and I sent that request just prior to my last move. I am sorry for the delay.

It was clear and distinct a magenta shift. Perhaps enhanced by the de haze but started with highlight shift. I do use that as well. The reason it really jumped out at me was because these were on shots with snow in them and as well know, that's not a typical snow color. Perhaps if I sort by saturation setting, I can find a few of those files. I recall just pulling the magenta - purple out of the images.

• 6. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta

So maybe it was a video driver issue, and if you’ve updated your video driver that could have fixed it, or if not, then perhaps it was a temporarily condition caused by another program, like a video game or other video-intense program, even Photoshop, having used the GPU already, and causing a rendering error in Lightroom.  If it happens, again, then that’d be something to see if you can pin point what other program you’ve run, recently.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Dehaze turns NEF files magenta
                      EJ Printer Level 1

Never play video games. I am running Win 8 on this system. It wasn't just a day or so, it persisted for many months. The driver has no supported updates due to Win 8. I do use PS all the time too so at this point, I am OK.