3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 7:41 PM by JoeKostoss

I believe I have a file handling issue: I am using an I-Mac & have 2 users sharing LR5; it has performed very well for many months but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field. In

alanm27471811

I believe I have a file handling issue: I am using an I-Mac & have 2 users sharing LR 5.7.1; it has performed very well for many months but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field. In addition the 2nd user's shared images have become 'greyed out'.  I can import photos in to Lightroom but they now go in to the wrong place. I believe this has also resulted in the problems of the second user being unable to view the images properly on her shared site.  How do I effectively return to the original path field and have it hold on?

• 1. Re: I believe I have a file handling issue: I am using an I-Mac & have 2 users sharing LR5; it has performed very well for many months but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field
          dj_paige Level 9

but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field.

Please be specific and state exactly what path you mean — and exactly where in Lightroom, or where in Mac Finder, you see this. Or show us a screen capture.

I can import photos in to Lightroom but they now go in to the wrong place.

In the Import dialog box, you control where the photos go when they are imported. There is a Destination section which allows you to import the photos to anywhere you want.

How do I effectively return to the original path field and have it hold on?

I guess that depends on exactly what has happened. If you use Mac Finder, are the photos in "users/shared/pictures" or "users/shared" or somewhere else?

If you look in the Lightroom Folder Panel, are the photos in "users/shared/pictures" or "users/shared" or somewhere else? Are there question marks on the folders?

• 2. Re: I believe I have a file handling issue: I am using an I-Mac & have 2 users sharing LR5; it has performed very well for many months but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field
            alanm27471811 Level 1
            1. To be specific: With Lightroom open I select Lightroom, Catalog Settings & it produces a box stating 'Location': /Users/Shared (where previously it would show /Users/Shared/Pictures. Below that the 'File Name' now reads: Lightroom 5 Catalog copy.lrcat (where previously I do not believe the word 'copy' appeared). In the top right hand corner if you select "Show" the following will appear: Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.03.22.png

If I then choose to highlight & select "Pictures" it will not allow me to keep the changed path.

Alternatively, (with Lightroom selected) if I choose "File, Open Catalog" then select "Macintosh HD, Users, Shared, Pictures (the path field I wish to recapture) there is no option allowing me to "Open" and therefore the process fails: Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.12.34.png

It will not allow me to import images to that path! Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.33.06.png

However, if I continue to select "File, Open Catalog" then select "Macintosh HD, Users, Shared, Pictures, Lightroom" it will change the Catalog Settings and permit an import but only if I physically select an obscure 2016 folder which is not the correct place and provides additional limitations.  That is the only way images will import. 

If you look at the final import on the screen shot all the images were falling correctly in to the respective year dates up until 2016-02-27.  Since then they have been forcibly going in to an additional & incorrect 2016 folder:Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.38.54.png

Finally, I'm not sure the second part of the issue was transmitted in my original message; to coincide with this recent change my partner's shared site has changed in that the second user is now unable to view the images properly on her shared site - they are greyed out.  I believe this is a separate issue but it changed at the same time.  How do I effectively return to the original path field and have it hold on?

Also there are question marks appearing in the new paths!

I hope this final screen shot helps identify the problem(s). Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.45.37.png

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Regards,

Alan

• 3. Re: I believe I have a file handling issue: I am using an I-Mac & have 2 users sharing LR5; it has performed very well for many months but the path field has changed from "Users/Shared/Pictures" to "Users/Shared" and I can not return to the original field
              JoeKostoss Level 4

alanm27471811 wrote:

1. To be specific: With Lightroom open I select Lightroom, Catalog Settings & it produces a box stating 'Location': /Users/Shared (where previously it would show /Users/Shared/Pictures. Below that the 'File Name' now reads: Lightroom 5 Catalog copy.lrcat (where previously I do not believe the word 'copy' appeared). In the top right hand corner if you select "Show" the following will appear: Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.03.22.png

Yes, this means that the catalog currently opened is in the Shared folder; you can see these in the next column.

Alternatively, (with Lightroom selected) if I choose "File, Open Catalog" then select "Macintosh HD, Users, Shared, Pictures (the path field I wish to recapture) there is no option allowing me to "Open" and therefore the process fails: Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 01.12.34.png

You have to continue to the Lightroom folder in the next column and find the catalog file there before you can open it.