3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 12:58 PM by JimHess

Photoshop cs6 Camera RAW auto, overexposes by a lot

pintree3 Level 1

3 different monitors (including laptop) and all 3 calibrated with Spyder4 the auto feature of PS cs6 Camera raw over exposes by 1 to 3 stops (on 2 computers). The 2 computers have also had Windows freshly reinstalled at least 3 X each and all of them went from Windows 8.1 to W10. Seeing that I haven't read anyone with this problems makes me want to ask what is probably going on with my computers' settings. Can anyone spread some light on this?

(Also I read that Camera raw for cs6 will never be updated after its last 9.1.1 release--are there addons/plugins we could use instead to add some of its present features or what?)

thank you

• 1. Re: Photoshop cs6 Camera RAW auto, overexposes by a lot
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I personally do not use the Auto feature. I don't like what it does. Probably your best option would be to work on a "normal" image that you have newly added to your collection. Make the necessary adjustments to have it look the way you want it to look when it is first opened, and then save new camera defaults for the camera. Then those defaults will be applied whenever you open new images in Camera Raw.

Camera Raw 9.1 is what it is. It is a plug-in, and I don't know of any add-ons for it. You could consider the creative cloud photography plan ($9.99/month in the US). Then you would always have the latest Camera Raw.

There are plug-ins that you can add to Photoshop CS6. I use the Nik plug-in collection from Google. Although I am now using Photoshop CC, then Nik plug-ins worked very well when I was using Photoshop CS6. There are other plug-ins as well, but I haven't used any of them and don't keep their names in the back of my head.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photoshop cs6 Camera RAW auto, overexposes by a lot
            pintree3 Level 1

Thanks JimHess your idea to create my own ''look'' and then save it may be a good one. I thought 'auto' meant the middle-grey-card equivalent--the right balance of highs and lows, of contrast etc.--and therefore make decisions from that point on. Isn't this what it is supposed to be? If so then my question remains; why the over exposure? If not, then what is it exactly?

As to creating my look and saving it--I would think, to do it what I want it to would suggest using an image of neutral white-to-grey-to-black image and the same with colors. As to Nik my opinion on it and its competitor OnOne is that they are both way overpriced and they have nothing to do with camera raw anyways. When I said plugins I meant for camera raw and only it--as in adding the extra tools now found on CC.

{My opinion of CC, for a normal Joe at least, is that too is overpriced and I could get the student/teacher edition which is cheaper. But my real problem with it is that fact that one needs to connect online and this I really, really, really hate to do--the whole idea of Big Brother watching and Security being the main issues. I also do not like the idea of not having a choice--CC or nothing is not a choice to me. I've been a Photoshop user since the beginning of time and when mine is way too outdated I may simply go elsewhere, such as GIMP. But that's just me, I assume most would disagree with my way of thinking and that's perfectly OK :- )

• 3. Re: Photoshop cs6 Camera RAW auto, overexposes by a lot
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are no plug-ins for Camera Raw that I am aware of. Camera Raw itself is a plug-in. So I think you are out of luck in that regard. I think you have a gross misconception of what the creative cloud is all about. The programs are installed locally to your computer. Depending on how you decide to pay (as in monthly or annually) the Internet is needed only long enough to verify that your payment is current. Other than that, you can use Photoshop and Lightroom completely independently without the Internet. When the cost of upgrading whenever a new version  is released, it's only marginally more costly to go with the creative cloud subscription plan. This idea of "big brother" keeping track of everything you do is utterly ridiculous. Your work is as private with the creative cloud installations as it is with standalone installations. But if you want to use that as an excuse, I suppose it can keep you entertained for a while. But you have no grounds to stand on.

I am on my fifth camera working with Lightroom. I have found it to my advantage to create my own default settings for each of those cameras. It greatly simplifies the work that needs to be done.

1 person found this helpful