8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2016 3:49 AM by Just Shoot Me

I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC

Ken Jerrard

I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user.

I have been using LR6 since the initial upgrade and a short while ago when I tried starting LR6 I could not use LR6 as a LR6 CC popup message showed up on my screen and required that I try the CC version. I could not get past this option so had to try the CC trial to carry on working. The CC trial is now expired and I can't revert back to my standalone LR6 version (I assumed that after the trial expired Adobe would automatically revert me back to the existing LR6 licence, which they have not done). The Adobe system says I have to buy a LR CC subscription which I do not want to do at this point in time as the trial did not provide me with any enhancements that I need. I want to carry on using my standalone version. I need Adobe to reset my product account to allow me carry on using my LR6 standalone version. Please advise way forward.

• 1. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You’ve posted your message on a public forum and I am not with Adobe, but I will try answering to at least see if the simple things have been tried.  If you can’t get things to work from whomever replies, here, then you may need to start up a direct chat with Adobe by going through the process that got you to the forums but choosing support options that include installation and licensing and choosing Still Need Help instead of the Community Forums option.

A LR trial is always CC.  If you license with a LR 6 serial number then LR becomes LR 6 instead of LR CC.   If you were running LR 6 then you would have entered in your LR 6 serial number that you purchased at some point.  If things suddenly became the CC trial that just means your licensing information on the local computer is invalid or corrupted or somehow not being recognized, anymore.  It’s hard to say why that would have happened, but whatever it was, it likely happened on your local computer, not on Adobe’s servers.

To get LR 6 up and running, again, the most obvious thing to try is to re-enter your serial number after choosing License This Software or some such option from the Trial Has Expired panel.  Have you done this and it doesn’t work? 

If that doesn’t work, then next thing to try would be to uninstall and reinstall LR 6 from the download(s) here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

In the LR 6 section, there is both the large 800MB LR 6.0 installer to download and use, first, then choose the latest 6.4 update installer which is much smaller because it’s just a patch to the .0 version.  You’ll need to re-enter your serial number after this install.

• 2. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What happened is somehow you signed out of LR. Open LR and go to the help menu and Sign In with the Adobe ID you used to buy LR 6 or that you used the first time you registered LR 6. Then a window will come up asking for the serial number for LR 6, enter that. If it is an upgrade serial number another box will come up asking for a previous version serial number (any previous version serial number will work from V 1 to V 5), enter that serial number. From there you should be good to go. Just Don't Sign Out again.

• 3. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
              Ken Jerrard Level 1

All sorted, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Ken

• 4. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
                Ken Jerrard Level 1

All sorted, thank you.

Regards,

Ken

• 5. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
                  Kiernnan

Why should I have to be signed in to Adobe for my LICENSED LR6 to work?  I purchased this version so I would not have to be tied to the cloud.  I get a message when I want to sign out of my LICENSED LR6 that signing out means that I deactivate my license on this machine.  I will not be using the cloud.  I don't like or trust the cloud and I want a perpetual license that I paid for to be working on a machine that is NOT signed in to Adobe.  Adobe let my personal information get hacked when I first signed up for the cloud several years ago.  I will not give them another opportunity.  So, why should I have to be signed in to Adobe for my software to work when I paid for the perpetual license?

• 6. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC

Kiernnan wrote:

Why should I have to be signed in to Adobe for my LICENSED LR6 to work?  I purchased this version so I would not have to be tied to the cloud.  I get a message when I want to sign out of my LICENSED LR6 that signing out means that I deactivate my license on this machine.  I will not be using the cloud.  I don't like or trust the cloud and I want a perpetual license that I paid for to be working on a machine that is NOT signed in to Adobe.  Adobe let my personal information get hacked when I first signed up for the cloud several years ago.  I will not give them another opportunity.  So, why should I have to be signed in to Adobe for my software to work when I paid for the perpetual license?

That is a requirement of LR 6/CC. This newest version is registered by the Adobe ID you use to Sign In with.

If you use an Adobe ID that is NOT associated with a subscription plan it becomes the 6 version. It then asks for a serial number.

If you use an Adobe ID that IS associated with a subscription plan it becomes the Creative Cloud (CC) version.

The download and install is exactly the same for LR 6. It is the Adobe ID you use that makes it either the 6 or the CC version.

If you don't want to have to continually enter the serial number then Don't Sign OUT. There is no reason to Sign Out unless you plan of moving LR to a different computer.

Once you Sign In and enter the serial number for LR 6 you are done and it will never ask you for it again, that is unless you Sign Out. It also does not continually contact Adobe. Once you have signed in, that sign in gets checked with the Adobe servers and seen that Adobe ID does not have a subscription and you enter a serial number it never contacts Adobe again. No need to as you have enter a valid serial number. Sign Out and all that is wiped away.

• 7. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC
                      Kiernnan Level 1

I get that I have to connect to the Adobe website to verify the license of LR6.  Which I did.  However, unless I am a CC member, I should NOT have to remain signed in to Adobe account for my software to work.  When I click on the help menu, and want to sign out of my Adobe account, I get a message that my software will no longer work.  Even though I purchased a valid perpetual license from Adobe.  And, it is registered properly.   My software shows my registration for LR6, not CC,

I have been an Adobe PS user for a very long time. I recently found On1 software and think that will be my solution from now on.  I will recommend On1 to anyone who asks me what software to use for photo processing.  I am done with Adobe and recommending it as being reputable or having valid software programs for personal use.  Adobe has found its audience, and it is not the casual photographer.

• 8. Re: I am a stand-alone licence LR6 user been forced to use LR CC

You are mistaken.

Once you Sign In and enter a serial number you can completely disconnect that system from the internet and LR will still function for YEARS without ever needing to check with the adobe servers.

Unlike the CC version that must be connected to the internet at least every 90 days to verify your subscription. The Stand alone version does not have that requirement.

But once you Sign Out of LR 6 it deletes the license info, IE the serial number, and you have to go through the process again.

Or you can dump LR and try some other cataloging and RAW editing software package. Your choice. No one, not even Adobe, is forcing you to buy LR. In fact you can continue to use LR 5, if you won a license for that version, for years to come and use the Free Adobe DNG converter program to get new camera support.