3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2006 8:21 AM by kt2656

special characters in Fireworks 8

kt2656 Level 1
      In Fireworks MX, I can type special characters via Alt+nnnn. I can input a large portion of the full Unicode range this way, including General Puncuation (8192-8303) and Geometric Shapes (9632-9727).

In Fireworks 8, the Alt method only seems to work for decimal values up to 0255, regardless of the font. Why, and how can I get the full range back? It is a PITA to have to type other characters in a word processor or from the Character Map, then paste into Fireworks. That's a huge step backwards, for sure.
        • 1. Re: special characters in Fireworks 8
          Level 7
          Have you looked at the Special Characters Panel?

Window > Special Characters.
          alex

kt2656 wrote:
          > In Fireworks MX, I can type special characters via Alt+nnnn. I can input a
          > large portion of the full Unicode range this way, including General Puncuation
          > (8192-8303) and Geometric Shapes (9632-9727).
          >
          > In Fireworks 8, the Alt method only seems to work for decimal values up to
          > 0255, regardless of the font. Why, and how can I get the full range back? It is
          > a PITA to have to type other characters in a word processor or from the
          > Character Map, then paste into Fireworks. That's a huge step backwards, for
          > sure.
          >
          • 2. Re: special characters in Fireworks 8
            Level 7
            I guess the ideal path would be the ability to add new characters to
            that Panel ... alex

A l e x M a r i � o wrote:
            > Have you looked at the Special Characters Panel?
            >
            > Window > Special Characters.
            > alex
            >
            > kt2656 wrote:
            >> In Fireworks MX, I can type special characters via Alt+nnnn. I can
            >> input a large portion of the full Unicode range this way, including
            >> General Puncuation (8192-8303) and Geometric Shapes (9632-9727).
            >>
            >> In Fireworks 8, the Alt method only seems to work for decimal values
            >> up to 0255, regardless of the font. Why, and how can I get the full
            >> range back? It is a PITA to have to type other characters in a word
            >> processor or from the Character Map, then paste into Fireworks. That's
            >> a huge step backwards, for sure.
            >>
            • 3. Re: special characters in Fireworks 8
              kt2656 Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              Have you looked at the Special Characters Panel?

Window > Special Characters.

Have you?

When I first read about this in the new features for Fireworks 8, I thought it would be A Good Thing. Sadly, it has a very limited character set - nothing beyond 0255, so it is useless to me.