1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2006 7:32 AM by Newsgroup_User

Stage.onResize

codescodescodes
      Hi everyone. I'm building a photo gallery in Flash and I'm wodering how to get the stage to resize to exactly fit the content. For example: if I load in an image that is 500x500, I want the stage to resize to those dimensions. Then if I load in an image that is 800x600, I want the stage to resize to those dimensions and so on. I've read about the Stage.onResize method but that is triggered after the stage has been resized, but I'm confused as to what causes the stage to change sizes in the first place. The stage.height and stage.width properties are read-only so I can't change the size of the stage using simply Stage.width = widthOfImage and Stage.height=heightOfImage. So what's the deal? Thanks for any responses and thanks for reading.
        • 1. Re: Stage.onResize
          Level 7
          codescodescodes,

> Hi everyone. I'm building a photo gallery in Flash and I'm
          > wodering how to get the stage to resize to exactly fit the
          > content.

Ah, that's just it. You're thinking about it backwards.

> For example: if I load in an image that is 500x500, I want
          > the stage to resize to those dimensions.

The Stage can't be resized via ActionScript -- but keep reading.

> Then if I load in an image that is 800x600, I want the stage
          > to resize to those dimensions and so on.

Yup. You can find out all the possible functionality for the Stage by
          looking up the "Stage class" entry of the ActionScript Language Reference.
          (This is true of any scriptable object in Flash ... movie clips are defined
          by the MovieClip class, dynamic text fields by the TextField class, and so
          on.) But absent from the functionality is how to actually *set* the Stage
          size.

> I've read about the Stage.onResize method but that is triggered
          > after the stage has been resized, but I'm confused as to what
          > causes the stage to change sizes in the first place.

When you publish your SWF and set the relevant HTML attribute values to
          percents -- such as 100% width/height -- the Stage.onResize event fires when
          the browser is resized.

> The stage.height and stage.width properties are read-only so I can't
          > change the size of the stage using simply Stage.width = widthOfImage
          > and Stage.height=heightOfImage. So what's the deal?

Ah, cool. You've already been reading up on the Stage class, then.
          This is more than many do. The approach you may want to take is ... oh,
          maybe center your loaded images when Stage.onResize fires. Loaded images'
          registration points will be their upper left corners, and the Stage's 0,0
          point is always upper left, so depending on the width and hight of your
          loaded images, you can adjust the _x/_y properties of their container clips
          to suit. I could see, too, resizing the images to match your Stage. But
          for better or worse, there's simply no resizing of the Stage.

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."