14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2017 12:18 AM by BumpyDesign

Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015

studioavanti Level 1

Hello,

I have a serious issue with InDesign CC 2015.2 (11.2.0.99), column span function, tables and linked text boxes.

: it slows down Mac OS X (10.9), spinning colored wheel

• 1. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
          studioavanti Level 1

Sorry, i posted my question before i finished typing, so, let's resume: i have a serious issue with InDesign CC 2015.2 (11.2.0.99), column span function, tables and linked text boxes.

Here's my configuration: Mac OS 10.9.5 / Mac Pro 2009 / 24 Go RAM / SSD.

After creating 6 or more pages with a two columns text box on each page, linking each text box and inserting some titles (with span columns), paragraph and tables (with span columns), InDesign begins to slow down very meaningfully, Mac OS spinning colored wheel displays for several seconds each time i want to type text, sometimes, it completely freezes INDD, i have to force to quit.

I tried to open the file in InDesign CS6 (initially exported from CC 2015 using IDML format) and - oh surprise! - it's just the same slow down.

At last, i can't say it's a CC 2015 issue, but it seems to be a very old INDD issue, maybe existing since 2010 and… still not repaired by Adobe if i can't trust what i already saw on this forum… so, what are you doing Adobe guys? Maybe you don't know how much this kind of issue can cost to professional users?

The only "solution" i found is to break text boxes links more than i expected to do, but seriously!?

What is the right solution, please?

• 2. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That machine has a very old processor and if you’re dealing with long documents with a lot of spans, it’s going to take time for the application to catch up.

A couple of things to try, however.

Turn off thumbnails in the pages panel.

Turn off live preflight.

• 3. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
              studioavanti Level 1

Maybe processor is not so young but the machine is globally well responding, even with InDesign CC 2015, except with this particular function "columns span" that is very useful however… if it didn't slow so much work.

I already turned off thumbnails in pages preview and of course live preflight (i use INDD since 2002 and begins to know its bad tricks well now ;-)

Honestly, if you read all reports about span columns issue on this forum, you can't think it's an old hardware issue… or it's old since 2010 (already exists in INDD CS6)?

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is very slow. More things to try:

Disable "balance columns" if you're using it. Switch it back on at the end of the project if you need to.

And, turn off "span columns"! Yes, I really mean that. Keep span columns off until you are close to a final layout and will not need to be making many more changes. Only use it towards the end. Otherwise it does get very difficult to work with.

Also, if your book is made up of chapters, it is best to make each chapter a separate story and not link all chapters. (It's not normally necessary to use the book feature though.)

Ariel

• 5. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                  studioavanti Level 1

OK thanks TaW.

I don't use balanced columns.

If i turn off "span columns", how can i balance text and table composition (or maybe i don't understand your idea behind)?

Too bad, combined to linked text boxes, this function is very useful and enhance productivity!

And curiously, i made several 100+ pages documents in the past with INDD CS then CC, text boxes were linked across the pages, but i don't remember such slowliness… maybe i used fewer "span columns" titles and tables?

• 6. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                    TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you've understood.

The point is not to use span columns until you really have to. So if you've got a lot of text changes to make, work with it off, and then turn it on at the end, when you're balancing the document.

I guess in your previous work there were fewer span columns, as you say.

And file a bug report to get them to optimize this feature!

• 7. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                      studioavanti Level 1

Well, it sounds like emergency usage and will be hard for me to work this way.

I'm a graphic designer and used to see what i get when composing pages.

Publishing software pretended to offer this feature when i started in 1990, i thought it was done nowadays… not for all function obviously, despite hardware power is so high now… sorry, i forgot my CPU is very old (hi Bob Levine ;-).

Please TaW, can you tell me how to send Adobe a bug report?

Thanks.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                        studioavanti Level 1

Thanks Steve, i reported the issue, hope someone will pay attention to this… but there are many reports on this forum since 2010 that i don't expect a miracle.

Once again, too bad, split / span columns is a great idea in InDesign!

• 11. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                          studioavanti Level 1

Very interesting, thanks Ariel, i understand a little much more why INDD "split / span colums" feature is a mess on long documents.

Adobe actually takes all my money with their subscription only formula, but maybe i'll found still 59$ to buy the plugin… to be continued ;-)

• 12. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                            sergez38240514

Mac mini late 2012, RAM 16 Gb.
                            InDesign CC2017.

same problem.…

• 13. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                              uniqued_tol Level 2

(Span, split) columns bug! Year 2017; win 10 32 gb ram cc2017 the problem still continues!

• 14. Re: Columns span is very slow with INDD CS6 to CC 2015
                                BumpyDesign

Yeah, me too. I used to love InDesign, but Adobe you are killing me with this spinning beach ball! It hangs even when I don't do anything that causes text to reflow. Even if I just move the cursor and don't click on anything. Gah! I have already turned off preflight and page thumbnails. I notice it gets worse the closer I am to the beginning of the document. I guess it's checking the spans/splits on subsequent pages?

I'm running late 2012 iMac, 16GB RAM, CC 2017, Sierra. I can't afford to buy a newer computer. I'm a compositor working from a client's template, so I'm stuck with a long document (can't split into chapters even though I'd LOVE to do so) and I can't change the template to not use span/split columns. I found a sort-of workaround: I flow a couple pages at once (NO autoflow) and format them before adding two or four more pages. But once the entire document has been flowed, I'm stuck when I have to go back and make any edits. It's so inefficient and I have literally wasted hours of time staring at that damn beachball.

Does paragraph shading cause slow down as well? My document has that, too!