6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 3:17 PM by kvfilms

How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?

kvfilms Level 1

Hi everyone,

Apologies if the answer to my question has already been posted somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I'm learning how to use Photoshop CC 2015. I'm currently having a hard time trying to learn how to apply a custom made ICC profile to multiple images in one go. I can apply the color profile to them one at a time, with no problem, but cannot for the life of me work out how to apply the same profile to a batch of images, without doing them one at a time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First I think you should explain why, and what kind of profile you're talking about. Images should always have a standard profile embedded (sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto). You should never change your original master files into anything else.

If you need the file in another color space for special purposes, record an action to Convert to Profile and save out a copy. An action can be run as a batch from within Photoshop, or from Bridge (Tools > Photoshop > Batch).

• 2. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?
            kvfilms Level 1

HI,

Thanks you for your reply. I'm a university student currently studying a module on digitisation. We are being taught how to take a RAW photo of a colorchecker chart, in turn we then upload this RAW image to Delt.ae - Online image quality assessment to ensure the colors are correct and conform to various standards, such as FADGI, and Metamorfoze, this then corrects the color values, creating a downloadable ICC file.

This ICC file is then installed into the PC, accessible through Photoshop, so that you can then assign this color correction profile to your images, all of which have been taken under the same photographic conditions, i.e lighting, same setup, same camera settings etc. I know how to assign the color profile to one picture at a time, but I need to learn how to assign the same profile to a collection of images, otherwise assigning the color profile one at a time will take longer.

Hope this makes sense

http://delt.ae/scan/index/scan/91429/guideline/2

• 3. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?

Ah, OK. That's a procedure I'm not familiar with. I do use a colorchecker chart and correct for it (either manually or by making a camera profile with the DNG editor), but not by way of an icc profile.

Anyway, assigning this profile in an action, which you then run as a batch, is straightforward.

• 4. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?
                kvfilms Level 1

This is the bit i need help with..... "Anyway, assigning this profile in an action, which you then run as a batch, is straightforward."

I can assign a profile to one pic at a time, but how to you do a batch? I'm not finding it straightforward lol

• 5. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?

Have the first file open.

Open the Actions panel, and create a new action. Name it. Start recording, there's a button at the bottom of the panel, which lights up red.

Do whatever you need to do. In this case it's mainly Edit > Assign Profile. I'd still recommend you save the result out as a copy to a specified folder, which you can do here as the next step (there are other ways to handle this, but that's a different subject better suited for the Photoshop forum).

Close the original without saving. You don't want to overwrite your originals.

Stop recording.

Open Bridge, select the files you want. Tools > Photoshop > Batch. Pick your action and go.

Now, I don't want to have an opinion on the procedure itself, except to note that the raw file must at some point be rendered into an RGB file before the icc profile can be generated. I'm not sold on the accuracy of this, but be that as it may. I would still recommend that you keep your files in a standard color space.

• 6. Re: How do you apply ICC color profiles to a batch of images?
                    kvfilms Level 1

Thank you! You have no idea how much time we have spent trying to figure this out. Much appreciated