5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2006 3:07 AM by Proxy

Flash Satay: communication with Flash

Level 7
      Hello everyone!

I would want to know if it is possible to communicate with a Flash Object
      wrote with "Flash Satay Method" (IE and Firefox).
      Ex:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="550" height="400"
      id="flash_conn" name="flash_conn" data="flash_conn.swf">
      <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
      <param name="movie" value="flash_conn.swf" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
      </object>

Max

• 1. Re: Flash Satay: communication with Flash
          Level 7
          Flash satay method is very poor .. lots of gotchas and limitations. Do not
          use it. If all you want is XHTML compliance, there are better / other ways
          to do it.
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: Flash Satay: communication with Flash
            Level 7
            Jeckyl wrote:

> Flash satay method is very poor .. lots of gotchas and limitations. Do
            > not
            > use it. If all you want is XHTML compliance, there are better / other
            > ways to do it.

Hi Jeckyl, I'm interested in that, do you have any references/urls on the
            other ways?

Tim.
            • 3. Re: Flash Satay: communication with Flash
              Level 7
              try flashobject
              "Timothee Groleau" <flash@timothee_NO_SPAM_groleau.com> wrote in message
              news:e2hg59$rvn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Jeckyl wrote:
              >
              >> Flash satay method is very poor .. lots of gotchas and limitations. Do
              >> not
              >> use it. If all you want is XHTML compliance, there are better / other
              >> ways to do it.
              >
              > Hi Jeckyl, I'm interested in that, do you have any references/urls on the
              > other ways?
              >
              > Tim.

• 4. Re: Flash Satay: communication with Flash
                Level 7
                Hi Jeckyl!

Why Flash satay method is very poor?

Max

• 5. Re: Flash Satay: communication with Flash
                  Proxy
                  Hello there,

I have also used the SATAY method of embedding into a webpage..

As Jeckyl has stated, this method is poor, however it may validate with w3c, it is not a practical method, one of the main reasons for this is that the movie is not streamed due to the way the object class is used.
                  Instead the whole object must be loaded before run.. Im not sure if the same case is true in IE, but i definately found this with FF.

I have returned to using the standard flash object method, i find this version below works best with IE and FF, the object and embed tags must both be included as FF and IE read the tags differently..

<object classid="clsid: d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase=" http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="700" height="500" id="flash">
                  <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
                  <param name="movie" value="flash.swf" />
                  <param name="loop" value="false" />
                  <param name="menu" value="false" />
                  <param name="quality" value="best" />
                  <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
                  <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
                  <embed src="flash.swf" loop="false" menu="false" quality="best" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="700" height="500" name="flash" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage=" http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
                  </object>

( note: The above example is used in a XHTML 1.1 document, using Flash 8.
                  Also, in the first property of the object class 'classid' i have inserted a space between the "clsid: d27.." as this was displaying a smiley face on the forum )

Andy.