16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 12:08 PM by photodepartment

print module not printing complete image

photodepartment Level 1

Hello Community,

I figured I'd see if any of you experts could assist us when Adobe has to date failed to.

Lightroom in the print window crops when sent to a printer. If I put a stroke boarder it only prints on 3 sides unless I set the margins to one inch. Making the printable area 2 inches narrower than the paper stock. The printers will print with a printable area of 3/4 inch smaller than the paper size in everything else. Lightroom fails to recognize the printer margins. This holds with an Epson 9900, Epson SC P9000, Epson 4900, and a pair of Epson 4880s. I have a lab of 26 Mac Computers a mix of Mac Pro Towers, and a few (6) minis. I have tried different drivers and upgraded and not so up graded versions of lightroom. We use a print server and teach in a fully Colour Managed Environment.

Any thoughts?

Alex

• 1. Re: print module not printing complete image
          JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

The print is expanded a few pixels by design to assure that the edges of the print are crisp and straight.  How are you applying the stroke border? What size stroke is it?  If you are using PS or another editor, and the stroke is only a few pixels wide, then what you see is what is to be expected.  If you want a stroke border, the best way to do this is in the print panel in Lightroom.

Screenshot 2016-03-07 18.15.03.png

This can also happen when the photo is not cropped to the exact ratio required for the print, being off by a only a few pixels.  Example: a 5x7 print with normal .125" borders is 4.75" x 6.75".  At 300 ppi, the image would have to be cropped to exactly 1425 x 2025 pixels.  If this is off by 2 or 3 pixels, a thin border will get cut off on one or more edges.

• 2. Re: print module not printing complete image
            photodepartment Level 1

Joe thanks for the reply.

If only it was so easy... Yes using the LR dialogue you posted, if I have a stroke border of less than 17 pt I only get 3 sides, more it prints a pin line and a full border. The driver allows (and prints elsewhere) with borders of 3.2mm 3.2mm 3.2mm and 14.1mm. If lightroom is set to less than 25mm (long dimensions) and 3.2mm on the short it will fail to print a complete image. Margins in LR set to anything less removes somewhat larger than 3.5-5 mm off the image. Typically I would wish to print 14.1mm on the long dimensions and 3.2mm for the rest to have centred image.

• 3. Re: print module not printing complete image

photodepartment wrote:

...Yes using the LR dialogue you posted, if I have a stroke border of less than 17 pt I only get 3 sides, more it prints a pin line and a full border. The driver allows (and prints elsewhere) with borders of 3.2mm 3.2mm 3.2mm and 14.1mm.

Do you mean 1.7 pt?  The border on my LR reaches a max of 20, so 17 is a large border.  What do you see in the main photo panel?  Is the border uniform all around?

...If lightroom is set to less than 25mm (long dimensions) and 3.2mm on the short it will fail to print a complete image.

I assume that you mean cell margins here.  3.2 mm is the minimum allowed by most printers unless you are printing borderless paper.  Anything on the edge may or may not print based on the actual manufacturing tolerances of your specific printer.

...Margins in LR set to anything less removes somewhat larger than 3.5-5 mm off the image. Typically I would wish to print 14.1mm on the long dimensions and 3.2mm for the rest to have centred image.

It would help if you could post some screen shots, such as the printer panels, so we can get a better idea of what you are doing and try to duplicate it.

What size print are you trying to make and what size paper are you using?

• 4. Re: print module not printing complete image
                photodepartment Level 1

No, I mean seventeen, 17 points. 6mm (basically 1/4 inch) give or take is cropped off every image, border or no border, it is obvious and very large. This prints only 3 sides (settings from the posted image). To get a complete image the margins must be set to 25mm (1 inch!) top and bottom. I personally use Capture one and it is perfect and allows a complete print with margins set as small as 3.2 and 10 mm (the printers min margins) on the one edge. However the teaching factually decided to teach LR and I need to get this corrected! 5 months with adobe tech support has got me absolutely no where they bounce me around a lot (back to email from chat for the 4th time). The problem is the same regardless of the paper size 8.5x11 or 13x19 or roll (24,36,44) all the same. Cell size is immaterial LR will never allow a cell to be larger than the paper, cell size should not crop I am setting it to max. My understanding of LR is the print dialogue should not be cropping at all.

Prints with 3 sided border.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: print module not printing complete image
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm probably not fully understanding the problem. But looking at your screen shot, I would set all of the margins to 0 and then adjust the cell size to get the white border you are expecting.

• 6. Re: print module not printing complete image

Your settings are for an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.  I tried to duplicate your settings on my iMac and Epson R2000 printer with an A4 sheet of paper as I am out of 8 1/2 x 11.  All went well and the printed photo matched the view on the screen with the photo centered, a 17 pt black stroke on all 4 sides and no cropping.  I also changed the printer dialog to scale everything to fit a 5x7 sheet, which I loaded in the printer, to see if this might cause any problem, but no, the print was perfectly scaled down to 5x7.

Screenshot 2016-03-08 18.58.25.png

In your first post, you stated:

"This holds with an Epson 9900, Epson SC P9000, Epson 4900, and a pair of Epson 4880s. I have a lab of 26 Mac Computers a mix of Mac Pro Towers, and a few (6) minis. I have tried different drivers and upgraded and not so up graded versions of lightroom.

If this is happening with all these different computers, printers and versions of LR, I would suspect that something other than LR might be the culprit, something common to your system...perhaps in the server itself.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: print module not printing complete image
                      photodepartment Level 1

Jim, no it looks like you are not, maybe an image will help. I really appreciate the insights. I am trying to not allow my frustration to cloud my posts, please forgive me if they do, it has been many months of this.

With margins set 6.8 mm smaller than the printable area, LR should not crop 1/4 inch (6mm) off the file! I should never need to set the print area 36.8mm (1.45 inches!) smaller than the max print area to get a complete image. Your solution is similar to adobes suggestion of set the page set up to borderless (unsupported printer paper/combo) and set the margins to what is actually printable. which actually does the exact same thing. lr015.jpg

• 8. Re: print module not printing complete image
                        photodepartment Level 1

Joe,

That is what I thought at first, but then other software titles would be doing the same, but it is restricted to LR. I have tried different variations of the cups IPP, I have tinkered with a handful of job handling settings and at the end of it all, LR simply will not manage the page set up correctly. It has been a long haul, I have a lot of experience working with this type of print environment and have had few issues until LR came along. I am beginning to feel like it simply will not work with IPP at all. It feels like to make LR print properly we will need to use  LPR, which is not very friendly for a learning lab. I truly appreciate the notions, I have spent a long time fighting this, I have been down most of the avenues brought up so far but am hopeful that there is a bright idea I have failed to think of. I have completely hit the wall. Any suggestions welcome, I am out of ideas.

• 9. Re: print module not printing complete image
                          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your Print and Page Set Up dialogs looking like??

• 10. Re: print module not printing complete image
                            photodepartment Level 1

Quite normal drivers from Epson.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.14.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-08 at 9.14.37 PM.png

• 11. Re: print module not printing complete image
                              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry I can't help as I am clogged up with a large import from catalog job and cannot look at my Epson settings...

I am not familiar with print servers either...

But I can say I have had a few issues with getting things set up but when they were ok there is no problem.

• 12. Re: print module not printing complete image
                                photodepartment Level 1

We were fine printing from the earlier versions, the last couple not so much. Most of the serious printing is done with something else (PS) but the first year students recently are being taught to print from LR. There are so few issues printing from Photoshop, but the professors have chosen to use LR for the first year, I am tasked with taming LR to a communal lab and solving the printing issues. The taming was easy, a script here and there, and preference settings and most of that is solved, printing... not so much. It is really hard to take, to be so stuck has not happened in ten plus years, I usually solve problems not ask for help solving them.

• 13. Re: print module not printing complete image

photodepartment wrote:

We were fine printing from the earlier versions, the last couple not so much...

The last few versions have an option to use Graphics Processor acceleration.  I believe that it is on by default.  It has been associated with many other unusual problems on certain computers with 'non-supported' graphics processors.  It may not be the cause here with printing, but it is easy to test.  In LR preferences, under the performance tab, turn off "Use Graphics Processor".

Screenshot 2016-03-09 07.00.48.png

• 14. Re: print module not printing complete image
                                    photodepartment Level 1

Joe and Geoff,lr016.jpg

That at least is a new idea, sadly no difference. I figured I'd try it. All our cards are supported anyway but hey worth a shot. I spent a handful of hours with Adobe Tech support (for the 5 time) they fumble and bumble about the system repeat what has been done before and get no where. So frustrating.

I made a small discovery however. It appears LR is placing the image and margins incorrectly. The set margins (in LR) are not correct. I set 17mm it starts printing the image at 24mm. The other side should be ending 17mm from the papers edge, it however is only 15mm it also means the image is over hanging 5.5mm into the unprintable area of the paper. The page set up and printer setting are the same used for every other software title so I don't believe they are at fault. I have also uninstalled every trace of print drivers by passed the print server, reset printer and print system restarted reinstalled a fresh downloaded driver, checked to be certain everything is 100% up to date including printer firmware. The results are unchanged. Everything points to LR and the page set up not talking correctly.

the scan is a apple desktop image I have added 3 point border to in photoshop. I imported it to LR selected edit in PS and made a print using the print driver to centre the image on the paper. I then returned to LR and made a print using 6.4mm 6.4mm 17mm 17mm margins and the maximum print cell. I took the PS print cut the corners on it and placed it on top of the LR print so the images are aligned. Made some measurements and scanned it.

• 15. Re: print module not printing complete image
                                      photodepartment Level 1

To all appearances it is just broken, no settings, the driver is not reading correctly. I have a KLUDGE workaround. Make a print and move the margin controls until it prints correctly again. It looks way out on screen but as long as it works right?

I would guess it is related to the 9 series pro drivers and custom paper sizes. Where the fault lies with Adobe, Apple, or Epson is hard to guess.

The KLUDGE solution. Change the margins to print centred ignoring however un-centred it appears on screen.

In case this helps others...

US Letter default margins on the side with the wide unprintable gutter set default same for the two margins 90º of this. The last margin set 28mm. This prints perfectly centred images, unbelievably.

13x19 the wide gutter side 15.2mm and the default margins on the two 90º edges the final edge I found 17mm to correct the issue.

Oh and one additional point that maybe of use, LR CC 2015.4 if you have a managed account (like all schools usually do) DO NOT UPGRADE to LR CC 2015.5. Stupidly, I hoped that was a fix for the first issue but in all cases (we have 100 licences) it caused a permissions issue that could only be resolved with making a new admin account and using that... Which isn't an option for a school. KLUDGE "solution" #4

• 16. Re: print module not printing complete image
                                        photodepartment Level 1

The problem remains the same unchanged. We simply cannot print a full image from lightroom on a roll printer with out 5.5mm of the image. This occurs stroke or not, and still occurs as photoshop, capture one, preview, and other software do not behave this way it must be coming from lightroom, We have a new solution not to use custom paper sizes, it is an error between the way lightroom reads the common unix print (cups) driver in the with internet printing (ipp). There has been many conversations with Adobe, we can duplicate this problem but no one to date has a solution.