5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2016 8:36 AM by MobileDeveloperCK

Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help

davidk31772464

On my i-phone, I am trying to access PDF's (through a browser App, I've tried Safari, Firefox, Chrome) because the files are housed in a cloud environment like Salesforce or Google Drive.  These files were created with from emails, most having attachments (Word, Excel, PDFs) using an Outlook Add-in, Sperry Software "Save As PDF".  The emails are all saved as PDF's with the email attachments being automatically attached to the new PDF and the attachments stay in their original format.  This PDF is then uploaded to the cloud, and is easily accessed from the desktop using Firefox with a few setting tweaks. (the Firefox i-phone app does not provide access to the same the customization as the desktop browser).

The attachments INSIDE THE PDF are not visible in any of the browsers, but from the browser, I choose "Open in..." Adobe Acrobat Reader the attachments are visible and they have their correct associated label and format designation, but they will not open, NOT even the attachments that are PDFs?

Help, how do I open these attachments?

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help
          abhissha Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi David,

May I know whether you are able to open these attachments on the desktop version of Reader app. Also may I know what happens when you tap on attachment file in the app on your iPhone.

Would you like to share the document for further review.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help
            davidk31772464 Level 1

Hi Abhishek,

I sincerely appreciate your inquiry… This is a good puzzle here, I would love for you to help me solve it.  It appears to me that the Adobe Acrobat Reader App for IOS just does not have the capability to handle (successfully open) this type of file (A PDF with an imbedded attachment), it’s just very disappointing because the Adobe Acrobat Reader App on my iPhone recognizes that an attachment exist and it even can distinguish between attachment types, i.e. excel or PDF.  Let’s get this resolved!

My answers to your questions are below in the body of your email in red

• 3. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help
              davidk31772464 Level 1

Hi Abhishek,

I sincerely appreciate your inquiry… This is a good puzzle here, I would love for you to help me solve it.  It appears to me that the Adobe Acrobat Reader App for IOS just does not have the capability to handle (successfully open) this type of file (A PDF with an imbedded attachment), it’s just very disappointing because the Adobe Acrobat Reader App on my iPhone recognizes that an attachment exist and it even can distinguish between attachment types, i.e. excel or PDF.  Let’s get this resolved!

My answers to your questions are below in the body of your email in red

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________

Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help

created by abhissha in Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad - View the full discussion

Hi David,

May I know whether you are able to open these attachments on the desktop version of Reader app.

Desktop version of Google Chrome does not show the existence of attachments to the original PDF, and Desktop version of Mozilla Firefox with default setting does not show the existence of attachments, but with the following  Application adjustment within Firefox

Content Type: Portable Document Format (PDF)

Action: Use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

So to finally answer your 1st question… on the desktop, Opening the file in Firefox with these settings downloads it and the download opens up in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and the attachments are visible and openable

Also may I know what happens when you tap on attachment file in the app on your iPhone.

Using Safari as a browser, I open the PDF document from a cloud storage folder

The attachment is not showing

I tap the document and get “Open in…”  

I choose “Copy to Adobe Acrobat” see below

The viewer shows a paper click, recognizes an attachment

I click the paper clip

Then click the file and get the following “The document could not be opened” error in a green bar at the bottom

Would you like to share the document for further review.

A sample file is attached,  but in order to replicate the exact situation, this file needs to be saved into a cloud environment, like Dropbox or google drive and accessed from a mobile browser.

• 4. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help
                MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi davidk31772464,

We received your PDF document via email.  Thank you very much!

We will investigate the cause of the problem and let you know what we find.

• 5. Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader App for Iphone is not opening attachments within the PDF - help
                  MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi davidk31772464,

We just released Acrobat Reader for iPhone and iPad version 16.05.18 on May 6, 2016.

This release includes the fix for the attachments problem that you reported earlier.

Would you please give it a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thank you!