3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 9:16 AM by Jao vdL

PC wont open .jpg from MAC when exported from Lightroom

meganb74884497

when i export a photos from lightroom on my Mac onto my external hardrive they are fine. I can open then with mac, etc. When i hook up my external hardrive to my PC and open the photos, only some of them are visable. There is like 2 different collections of photos. One is ._IMG_xxxx.jpg and the other is_IMG_xxxx.jpg. the ._IMG_xxxx.jpg will open on pc. when i check some of the properties of the photos some are the newest once i exported from lightroom and some of them are ones from a prior date, yet i just exported that exact photo on MAC, hooked my external up to PC, and checked it. Am I missing something in my exporting options? I can export or "save for web" in photoshop (as a jpg) and have no troubles with opening photos on a PC. Why is lightroom giving me trouble? thanks!

• 1. Re: PC wont open .jpg from MAC when exported from Lightroom
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The files preceded with the period are files the mac operating system creates for files on non-natively formatted hard disks. They will contain a small preview for use in the finder and other stuff. They should normally not get created as Lightroom doesn't generate them but something on your operating system is doing this, probably to create the previews in finder. They are harmless nevertheless. You should normally not see them on your PC but you probably have set it up to not hide these invisible files. I don't understand why you are not seeing all your files though. That should not happen. How is your external formatted?

• 2. Re: PC wont open .jpg from MAC when exported from Lightroom
            meganb74884497 Level 1

My external HD is FAT32. I notice when i plug in my HD to my PC there are alot of folders that are "greyed" or hidden with a ._. or ._ infront of the name that i cant access. I am assuming this is a MAC thing (like you stated above)

Checked my PC, the folder options didn't have a check next to the hide "hidden folders" box. That is now checked!

When I check the date created of those "hidden ._IMG" photos, it shows the exact time i exported them from lightroom. The jpg (viewable) copy of that photo, in the same folder , shows the date for the export as a previous date. I can also tell the changes that were made to the photo did not apply. I notice sometimes lightroom asked me to "overight" the file and sometimes it just exports it with no pop-up box, but i know there is a duplicate of that photo in that folder and it should have asked me. like I stated, some of my photos have the latest "export" time on them and some of them dont at all  yet i just exported that file! Could it be that the original file and working folder are on my HD, and when i edit and work its runing off my HD vs my computers hardrive?

I am grasping at straws because this boggles my mind

• 3. Re: PC wont open .jpg from MAC when exported from Lightroom
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FAT32 should work OK for this purpose. I was just curious if it was something different.

I think what is happening is that Lightroom is not correctly checking whether the image already exists in the folder. Do you delete the images from your PC or from your Mac after you transfer them? You might want to try only doing it from the Mac (which will delete the dot-files too). You might also want to reset the warnings dialogs in Lightroom, which is done from the preferences->general pane.