Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indexing Bagage Files

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2006 Apr 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a perplexing issue. I know I can create index entries for baggage files and urls, but I'd like them to open in a new window when the end user selects the appropriate page from the index.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Linda

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda. I haven't tested this but I believe you can by creating a new window in your Project's windows folder and then assigning this to the index keyword. You do this by adding the keyword to your index pane and going to the right click Properties menu. In the Advanced tab, you can specify a window. Give that a go and let us know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2006 May 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks, but that didn't work. I was able to create a New Window and I was able to create an index keyword, but I was not able to assign the keyword to the new window.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2006 May 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

I think Rick would suggest a redirect file.

Have the index point to a dummy topic that opens a new page with the appropriate topic.

You can put a line of text in the dummy topic saying, "The selected topic should open momentarily in a new window. If not, click here." "Here" would be a conventional link to the topic in the new window, in case the redirect doesn't work. You might even insert a delay so the user can read the line and expect a new window.

When the user closes the new topic window, the launch line will still be there. Otherwise, the topic frame will be blank.

Harvey
(With a tip of the hat to Rick)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2006 May 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

It's funny you're asking about this. I just did this yesterday on a WebHelp project, and it was pretty easy to do. Try this (I know it works in RH Office X5):

1. Go to Rick's RoboWizard site. www.robowizard.com

2. Download his Tips and Tricks .CHM file (from Grimoires | Tips and Tricks)

3. In the TipsNTrix.chm, search for the topic called "Linking to an external file from the TOC in WebHelp", then select the first result that you see.

The only differences I found were that in X5, in the New TOC Page dialog window, the "Link To:" at the bottom is the Destination that Rick's referring to.

Also, in the Advanced tab, under Frame, select New Window, since I got an error when I tried to enter "_Blank" (obviously without quotes)

Thanks to Rick for this procedure.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I greatly appreciate it. And thanks to Rick, too.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your help! I greatly appreciate it. And thanks to Rick, too.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp