3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 9:22 AM by BobLevine

InDesign CC2015 Export window - Can Readium be added as a Viewing App?

soundman1963 Level 1

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest version of Chrome, along with the Readium extension. I wanted to add Readium as a viewing app in the Export > Viewing Apps window. Readium doesn't have it's own installation directory that I can find. Does anyone know if it can even be added? At this point I'm thinking it can't, but maybe someone knows otherwise.

thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign CC2015 Export window - Can Readium be added as a Viewing App?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, because InDesign can only open an application, not an extension run by a different application.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC2015 Export window - Can Readium be added as a Viewing App?
            soundman1963 Level 1

I figured out a reliable way to get InDesign to open Readium via the Export > Viewing Apps window on a machine running Windows.

1. Open up Chrome and click the Show Apps shortcut. Readium should show up on this page along with the other standard Google apps; otherwise it needs to be installed.
            2. Right click on the Readium shortcut and choose: Create Shortcuts... to make the shortcut on the desktop.
            3. Single-click the desktop shortcut and press Alt+Enter to open the Properties window.
            4. This should open the Shortcut tab and highlight the text in the Target field
            5. It should read like this:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"  --profile-directory=Default --app-id=fepbnnnkkadjhjahcafoaglimekefifl
            6. Press Cntrl + C to copy this to the clipboard
            7. Create a new blank text document on the desktop and rename the extension to .bat  example: openReadium.bat
            8. Right click this file and choose Edit. Then paste the contents of the Target field and save + close it.
            9. Double-click this bat file to confirm it opens Readium as a stand alone window
            10. Copy the file name to the clipboard - be sure to include the .bat extension
            11. Switch over to InDesign and click Export (flowable or fixed-layout)
            12. Click the View Apps tab and then click the Add Application... button
            13. Navigate to the desktop
            14. Only .exe files will be visible, because InDesign filters out all other extensions
            15. Press 'Cntrl + V' to paste the file name into the File Name: field - this should **read something like: C:\Users\windowsUser\Desktop\readium.bat

**Instead of seeing windowsUser, you should see whatever name is currently logged in on your machine

That's it! Complete the Export process and Readium along with any other eReaders you've set up in View Apps should open up your ePUB.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC2015 Export window - Can Readium be added as a Viewing App?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’ll give this a go when I get a chance.

Thanks for posting this.