4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 6:45 PM by kf19101658

Making pdf read only

kf19101658

I have a fillable pdf form. I'd like end-users to be able to print this document, but not save it with the fields filled in. Is this possible? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Making pdf read only
          IsakTen Level 4

It is not possible. If your users do not save the filled PDF what's the point to fill the fields in the first place? If you want to prevent the form from being altered after filling, you may consider to require your users to digitally sign filled PDF.

• 2. Re: Making pdf read only
            kf19101658 Level 1

Thank you for your reply! It's a form that has personal information on it. We want our staff to be able to print it to give to us, but not be able to save it anywhere with their personal information. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Making pdf read only
              IsakTen Level 4

You can also encrypt your PDF either with password or certificate encryption. This way only users who have credentials to open this PDF will be able to see it (and save), but any other person will not.

I was looking at the Acrobat JavaScript API reference to see if you could do that with JavaScript, but could not find there a method that would allow you to write a JavaScript that alters the way "Save As" works and embed this JavaScript in your PDF.

• 4. Re: Making pdf read only
                kf19101658 Level 1

Thank you so much for trying to figure out a solution!