8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 4:59 AM by BobLevine

Default File>Export options

Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I might be the only one. But is anyone else ever frustrated when InDesign crashes and the File>Export PDF used to default back to PDF (Interactive)

I upgraded InDesign to include Adobe Experience Manager, and when InDesign crashes, then the preferences get reset, fair enough. I then go to File>Export and hope to get PDF (Print). However, it is now defaulting to Export as Adobe Experience Manager.

Can the program not be set so that when you reset the preferences it remembers your last PDF export choice, whether you export as AEM, PDF INteractive, or PDF Print, (or other). I'm pretty frustrated by it. I don't use PDF Interactive and I don't use AEM.

My main export option is always PDF (Print).

Why can't the program remember this choice?

• 1. Re: Default File>Export options
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. What is Adobe Experience Manager?
          2. Which version do you use?
          3. Which OS?
          • 2. Re: Default File>Export options

It doesn't matter what it is.

The problem is the Export options default back to something I don't ever use. Like PDF interactive or AEM.

Why does it do this? Because they want to point to new features they have added, fair enough.

But once I've ran the update, and opened InDesign and set things up the way I need them for my everyday, I expect those settings to be kept.

Units to MM (nobody in my printing world uses Pica)

Spelling to UK (I'm not in the US)

AutoCorrect On (This is vital for me)

Content Grabber Off (hate it)

Dynamic Spelling On (Vital)

Export option to PDF Print (Vital)

Maybe the Preferences should have a lock symbol or something. So when preferences reset that these settings remain locked and can't be changed.

• 3. Re: Default File>Export options
              winterm Level 4

Eugene Tyson wrote:

... when InDesign crashes, then the preferences get reset...

AFAIK, that means, the program recreates InDesign Defaults file.

Why use it?

Try backup your own customized "working" InDesign Defaults file, and after crash simply restore it (overwrite from backup).

If it happens often, you can even use simple VB script for this, if you're on Windows (sure, you need to correct paths):

Dim FSO

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

FSO.CopyFile "D:\Backup\InDesign Defaults", "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 8.0\en_US\InDesign Defaults"

Set FSO = nothing

MsgBox("My ID Defaults restored!")

That's for Win7, CS6. Not sure about Mac. The idea might be the same, I believe.

• 4. Re: Default File>Export options

Thanks, I'm on PC.

Ah I'm just really frustrated with the whole policy of having the new features being the default options.

It just doesn't work for me personally, and I generally have to step by step change everything the way I want it at least every day.

• 5. Re: Default File>Export options
                  winterm Level 4

I'm totally with you regarding that "new features" policy.

However, in this particular case the problem is different, I think. If program remembers your choice, at least up to the fatal crash .

I shouldn't wait for the sort of "Preferences lock" due to the way these things are coded (as I understand it).

imo, the best what we can do here - have at hand a good backup of customized InDesign Defaults file.

• 6. Re: Default File>Export options
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eugene Tyson wrote:

It just doesn't work for me personally, and I generally have to step by step change everything the way I want it at least every day.

Seems to me you have a larger configuration problem of some sort if you are experiencing daily crashes....

And you really should make yourself a backup prefs file.....

• 7. Re: Default File>Export options
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AEM is the new name for what used to be DPS. That said, I’ve noticed the default export has been interactive PDF but after that it remembers the last choice. I haven’t run the latest update but my guess is that it’s just choosing the first item in the list.

Not sure there’s a whole lot that can be about it but I get the annoyance.

• 8. Re: Default File>Export options
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Agree with Peter and now that I’ve gotten to the end of this thread I’ll repeat my earlier response a bit more clearly.

This is not about new features, it’s about DPS being renamed to AEM Mobile and now being at the top of the list of export choices. Nothing sinister going on here.